Located in R8W, T3S, Sec. 34. The cemetery is approximately 600 feet south of Clifton road and ½ mile west of Robertson Gin road. In the 1980s there was only one marker, and it was off its pedestal. Additional information added by Tim Harrison.
Martha A. Douglas – 1825 – 1848. Consort of A. H. Douglas. Daughter of J. C. N. & Marg Robertson.
Margaret M. Douglas continued to live with her grandparents and was listed with them in the 1860 DeSoto Census (p. 82). On September 20, 1866 she married John B. West, a former Confederate soldier who had served in Co. K, 9th Mississippi Infantry. Margaret Douglas West was the mother of seven known children: Charles R. (1868), Richard D. (1870), Mattie A. (1873), Maggie H. (1875), William R. (1877), Lila L. (1880), and Lillian L. (1887). She is listed with her husband and children in the 1870 (p. 219) and 1880 (p. 587 & 588) DeSoto Census Records. She died in 1890.
Martha Robertson’s father and mother are both buried in the Hernando Baptist Cemetery. Interestingly, while his initials are listed as J. C. N. his tombstone reads “Julius C. Mason Robertson.” He attained his rank of Brigadier General in the Tennessee militia. He served with Andrew Jackson in the war against the Creek Indians in Alabama, and was a sergeant at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. In 1823 he was elected the first sheriff of Hardeman County, Tennessee, and in 1834 was a delegate to the Tennessee constitutional convention. He was elected state senator for Hardeman, Fayette and Shelby counties in 1835.
DeSoto County Coordinator: Tim Harrison
Copyright © 2005-2013 by Tim Harrison & MSGenWeb. All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.