FAMILY HISTORIES OF THE
MILLER AND SMITH FAMILIES
1785 – Present
Birth: abt 1785, GA
Marriage: 15 MAY 1811, Amite Co, MS to Elizabeth Warren b 1796 Lincoln Co GA d 1862 Covington Co MS, daughter of Lott (Lancelot) Warren and Rebekah Gordon.
Death: 1856, Covington County, MS
Comments: James was a Pvt in Capt Daniel McGahey's Co of Militia in regiment under command of Lt. Col. George H. Nixon, War of 1812. He enlisted 12 Feb 1814 for 6 months and was on roll through 4 Aug 1814. Received BLWt for service. Family was Baptist, (Bethany Baptist Church, Prentiss, MS; minutes show James Miller and Elizabeth Miller as members in 1843.)
CHILDREN OF JAMES AND ELIZABETH MILLER
- Mary MILLER b: abt 1812 in MS; aka “Polly” m William Terrell
- Seaborn Kingston MILLER b: 14 Feb 1814 in MS; m Celetia Herrington had 13 kids, CSA died at home in 1866.
- Josiah MILLER b: abt 1816 in MS; m Mary Patience Smith, 1837 LA, had 11 kids, d 1882 in Rapides LA
- Henry MILLER b: abt 1818 in MS
- John J. MILLER b: abt 1821 in MS
- Rebecca MILLER b: 7 Oct 1826 in MS
- Elizabeth Jane MILLER b: 27 Oct 1827 in MS
- William F. MILLER b: 23 Nov 1830 in Covington Co., MS; m Eliz R. Carter 1850 Covington Co MS. 5 kids, CSA died 1862.
- Samuel S. MILLER b: abt 1832 in Covington Co., MS; m Adeline Holcombe in 1852 MS, had 5 kids, CSA, died at Vicksburg 1863
- Martha MILLER b: 18 Jul 1835 in MS
A very special THANK YOU to Diane Williams for sharing her family information with us. She has been researching family histories for herself and others for 20 years. The preceeding information documents only a small portion of her Miller and Smith families, both of which had multiple generations living in the Covington County area. Diane is originally from Texas, but is now living in Michigan. Feel free to contact her for additional information on the Miller and Smith families.
All Miller and Smith family documents and photos are courtesy of Diane Williams. Copyright protected.
Return to Home Page.
This site is a member of the USGenWeb Project and
the MSGenWeb Project.
Please visit the
Covington County Home Page for more information.
Copyright © 2008 by the MSGenWeb Project. All Rights Reserved.
Individual submissions remain the property of copyright owner or submitter.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to, but may not be reproduced electronically
or otherwise without specific permission from the county coordinator and/or the contributor. It is permissible to print
or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. This information may also be used
by libraries and genealogical societies; however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior
permission of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information. Additional copyrights may
apply to and be noted on individual pages.
This page was last updated on 10 October 2008.