the afternoon of Sept 5, 1886, a group of christians met on the farm of Mr. O.
F. Chamblee in Choctaw Co, northwest of Weir, MS.
These people with letters of dismissals from other Baptist churches expressed their desire to organize a Baptist church.
Rev. W. H. H. FANCHER, Rev. Marcus A. spanGERS, and Rev. J. W. SIMS formed a Presbytery to officiate for the organization of the new church.
The following persons were accepted as charter members: Mr. & Mrs. C. A. FRANKS, Mr. & Mrs. H. J. COBB, Mr. & Mrs. A. W. CHAMBLEE, Mr. John DAVES, Miss Mary DAVES, Mr. & Mrs. O. F. CHAMBLEE, Mr. N. W. NAIL, Mr. George DAVES and Miss Nannie DAVES.
Rev. FANCHER read the Articles of Faith and Church Covenant and they were adopted by the members extending their right hand. Mrs. O. F. CHAMBLEE proposed the name New Haven for the new church and it was unanimously adopted by motion.
O. F. CHAMBLEE and Mr. H. J. COBB were ordained as deacons. A young local minister, Rev. J. H. D. WATSON, was called as pastor. That night a revival began with Rev. FANCHER and Rev. J. W. SIMS conducting the services.
Regular service dates were decided to be on the fourth Saturday and Sunday of each month, with the first regular date being Sunday, Sept 4, 1886.
Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE was appointed church clerk protem and in Dec, he was elected church clerk, serving in this position until 1904.
Mr. N. W. NAILwas also ordained as a deacon in Dec.
New Haven became a member of the Louisville Association.
In 1887, Mr. O. F. CCHAMBLEE and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE gave an acre of land for a building and a cemetery. Rev. E. A. FANT and Rev. W. H. D. WATSON assisted in the revival held in 1887. The pastor was J. H. D. WATSON and church clerk was Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE.
In 1888, the paster was still Rev. J. H. D. WATSON and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE remained the church clerk.
Rev. C. W. HENSON and Rev. W. H. D. FANCHER assisted in the revival in 1889. Rev. J. H. D. WATSON was still serving as the pastor of the church and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE remained the church clerk.
On Feb 5, 1890, Mrs. Sam CAMPBELL and her baby were the first ones buried in the cemetery. The revival this year was conducted by Rev. E. A. FANT and Rev. C. W. HENSON. Rev. J. H. D. WATSON remained the pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE remained the church clerk.
1891, Rev. C. W. HENSON and Rev. M. A. spanGERS conducted the revival services. Rev. J. H. D. WATSON remained the pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE remained church clerk.
Noted changes in 1892 were that the church became a part of Chester Association. Rev. J. H. SARGENT was the pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE was church clerk.
There were no noted changes in 1893; Rev. J. H. SARGENT was pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE was church clerk.
In January, 1894, the editor of the Baptist layman requested an address of a member that would receive the paper free and share the news with other members of the church. Rev. J. H. D. WATSON and Rev. C. W. HENSON assisted in the revival of 1894. Rev. J. L. SARGENT remained pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE continued serving as church clerk.
In 1895, the church membership had grown from the thirteen charter members to a total of 95 members. Rev. J. L. WILSON was the pastor for the period of time between Jan. and Oct. At this time, Rev. J. H. D. WATSON was called as pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE was church clerk.
In 1896 and 1897, Rev. J. H. D. WATSON continued serving as pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE remained church clerk.
New deacons, Mr. J. A. FRANKS and Mr. J. A. CCHAMBLEE were ordained in 1898. In Aug, Rev. C. A. HICKS assisted in a revival. Pastor was still Rev. J. H. D. WATSON and church clerk was Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE; both continuing to serve in these positions through 1899.
In 1900, Rev. J. H. D. WATSON remained as pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE remained as church clerk. Rev. J. L. SARGENT assisted in the revival in 1900.
During the year of 1901, Rev. J. W. SIMS served as pastor and Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE continued serving as church clerk.
1902 and 1903, Rev. J. T. SARGENT served as pastor and church clerk continued to be Mr. A. W. CHAMBLEE.
In Jan, 1904 Mr. J. A. CHAMBLEE was elected as church clerk and he would serve in this position until 1937. Rev. J. W. SIMS died in April and in June, Rev. J. H. D. WATSON was called to serve as pastor for the remainder of the year. In Aug, 1904 a building fund was started for a new church.
In 1905, plans were made for the new church building. Mr. & Mrs. J. A. CHAMBLEE signed the deed for three acres, which included the original one acre. The plot was in the SE corner of Sect 32, Township 18, Range 9 E. The north line is 4 rods north of the present building, the three acres extends 32 rods south of this line; 15 rods wide from section line to the west. Rev. J. L. SARGENT assisted in the revival this year. Rev. J. H. D. WATSON continued as pastor and J. A. CHAMBLEE continued as church clerk.
Membership in 1906 has increased to 137. The revival was conducted by Rev. R. A. EDDLEMAN and Rev. Walter SARGENT. Rev. J. T. SARGENT continues as pastor and Mr. J. A. CHAMBLEE as church clerk.
The revival of 1907 saw the greatest revival in the history of the church. There was an addition of 81 new members, 62 by profession of faith and 19 by letter and restoration. Rev. R. A. EDDLEMAN remained pastor and Mr. J. A. CHAMBLEE remained church clerk.
Return to Index
Return to Church Index