Robert Bolling Gunn was born 12 July 1805 in Brunswick Co, VA to Radford Madison Gunn and Sylvia Reid Gunn.
In 1836, he married Frances Norris Green in Sumpter Co, AL. She was born 4 Oct 1818 in South Carolina to Daniel
Ezekial Green and Eustacia (Stacey) Andrews (Anders). They had the following children:
1. Louisa Ann: born 10 Aug 1836 in AL, died 16 Jan 1873 in MS, married Patrick Henry Haughton in 1858
2. William R.: born 1838, Rev. William Gunn
3. Indiana (India) E.: born 1845, died young before being married
4. Ida Roberta: married Amos Richardson
5. Fannie: married Adam Carlisle
Rev. and Mrs. Gunn moved from Sumter Co, AL to Monroe Co, MS between 1836 to 1842. Rev. Gunn was a
primitive Baptist Preacher and was known as "Parson Gunn". He was affiliated with New Hope Primitive Baptist
Church in Hatley, MS, which was one of the first churches in Monroe County. His name appears in the records in
1848 as one of the officials of this church.
On 20 Nov 1847, Rev. Gunn purchased 346 acres of land from A.N. Barton (N 1/2 Sect. 25, Township 15, Range 6
East) in Monroe County. On 28 Sept 1849, he sold this land to C.C. and J. Ewing, and purchased from C.C. and J.
Ewing "that part of Lot No. (113) one hundred and thirteen, in the plan of the town of Aberdeen, Mississippi, not
heretofore deeded to Alexander Durwood to-wit: 24 feet on Commerce Street running back on Locust Street 100
feet, reserving to Alexander Durwood 9 feet on the extreme southern portion of said lot as a foot-way; signed by
C.C. Ewing, Mary Ann Ewing, James Ewing, and Castera Ewing. On 1 March 1850, Rev. Gunn purchased from
Richard Harrison, Block 109 in the town of New Aberdeen for him and his family. Rev. Gunn was the third owner
of this property.
On 17 Aug 1852, Rev. Robert B. Gunn, Richard Haughton, Abner Prewett, Radford M. Gunn, and Mark Prewett, all
of Monroe Co, AL and Trustees of the Primitive Baptist Church of Aberdeen purchased Lot 9, Block 85 from
Edward J. Arthur. A church was erected on this site. Rev. Gunn was the pastor of this church until 1866, when the
property was sold to Henry Elder, Bishop of Natchez of the Diocese of Mississippi and of the Holy Catholic
In 1867, Rev. and Mrs. Gunn moved with other members of the Gunn and Haughton families to Chickasaw Co,
MS and established another primitive Baptist Church. Soon a school building was erected and the settlement
became known as "Gunn Village". Gunn Village was located several miles from the present Egypt, MS. Rev.
Robert Bolling Gunn died 4 Oct 1880 and is buried in the little church yard of Gunn Village. Mrs. Frances Gunn
died 6 Nov 1906 and is also buried in the Gunn Cemetery in Egypt, MS. This cemetery is presently located on
References: Research paper by Mrs. Roy Rollins (date unknown) and information from Mrs. Dale Sansom
Killinger (tombstones, Gandrud's Alabama Records-Sumpter County, Aberdeen, MS Library).
Return to Index
This information may be used by libraries, genealogical
societies, and other researchers. Commercial use of this information is
strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owner.
If copied, this
copyright notice must appear with the