History of Early Chickasaw Co Schools
The following information on the early schools of Chickasaw Co is taken from "Chickasaw Co. History, Vol I, published in 1985 by The Chickasaw Co. Historical and Genealogical Society, Curtis Media Corp. If you are interested in purchasing a copy of this book, contact the Chickasaw Co. Historical and Genealogical Society; P. O. Box 42; Houston, MS 38851.
Submitted by: Phyllis L. Nelson
Some of the leaders of the consolidation were: R. E. DENDY, J. Edd DENDY, E. T.
HARRINGTON, Tom GRIFFIN, B. LANCASTER, M. M. McQUARY and Albert
The first meeting place for Anchor School was where Naron LANCASTER's store site is today. A two-story school house and a teacher's home was built about 1921 and was located near the present day Cliff ARLEDGE home.
The original school building consisted of an auditorium, stage and dressing room and was known for its presentation of good plays. There were four teachers and the grades were one through eleven.
S. S. PAUL, of Montpelier was the first pricipal.
In the 1930s, the junior and senior high schools were moved to Woodland. In 1943-44, at mid-semester the elementary grades were moved to Woodland.
A photo in "History of Chickasaw Co,Vol I" of the 1925 girls basketball team show the following members: Tesses GORDON, Glades HOKE, Olivia NICHOLS, Lois GRIFFIN, Ethel McQUARY, Jo Gordon BLUE and EUNICE LANCASTER HOUSE.
The photo of the boys basketball team identifies the following members: Lee NICHOLS, Gus VAUGHN, Ishmael VAUGHN, Lawson NICHOLS, Kelvin JENINGS and Oren McQUARY.
Submitted by Miss Meda Bonne Crawford
It is unknown just when the existence of the Atlanta School came into being; but
it was in operation in the 1880s.
At one time, Atlanta Schol was a two teacher with one room. The room was divided by cotton sacking with safety pins pinned in the top so that the "curtain" would slide on a wire stretched across the room.
Grades fourth or fifth through the eighth or ninth were taught by the principal.
A wood burning stove was in each room, with a bench on each side of the stove and double desks for the students. In the back of the school, there was a stage, with a bench on it and the principal conducted classes from this bench.
There was a morning and afternoon recess; plus a break for lunch. At lunch, the students ate their lunches that they brought from home in a tin lard bucket; and drank water from bottles of water they had carried to school.
Favorite games played by the students were: "Town Ball", "Anteover", "Fruit Basket Turn Over" and "Foxey-Goosey-Gander".
The teachers who taught school, but did not live in the community, boarded with the following families: Jim SANDERS, The Tom GIDEONs, Dr. and Mrs. B. M. McCLESKEY, and Mrs. Ida REZICK.
The school eventually became a one teacher school and was consolidated into the Anchor School. The teachers from the early 1900s until the consolidation were: Mr. CHANDLER, Mr. LAMAR, Miss Sallie SPRINGER, Mr. Maitland HUFFMAN, Miss Ruby SCOTT, Miss Lera KIMBRELL, Miss Thelma KIMBRELL, Mr. Jim ELLARD, Mr. PENICK, Mr. Wilson PEPPER, Miss Alin and Dresa FOWLER, Miss Gladys McCOOL, Mrs. America PEPPER, Misses Elma and Thelma FAULKNER, Mrs. Lena GABLE, Miss Janie BLUE, Miss Clara LOVE, Mrs. Lora STEVENSON, and Mr. Cleve PILGREEN.
Submitted by: Tommie Lee Smith
In about 1900, the Barton School was founded and was built on the Old Oscar
WALLACE place, located about two and one half miles northeast of Houston on the
east side of Hwy 15.
Some of the teachers were: Mrs. Emma KIRK HUGHES, Mrs. Versie DAVIDSON, Mrs. Erie GRAHAM, Mrs. Lola RANDLE, Mrs. Alberta McLENDON, Mrs. Georgia Mae PARKER COUSIN, Mrs. Martha GILL, Mrs. Kate GREGORY, Mrs. Erogie COUSIN REID, and Mrs. Lourence SMITH WILLIAMS.
Submitted: by Lura Holleman
Mr. A. R. Lowery sold the lot for the Bethel school, located five miles south of Houston,for $15.00. The county gave $100.00 for the building and the citizens furnished the labor and the school was built in 1912.
The building had two doors at the front, with a set of steps at each door. The girls would enter through one door and the boys the other; girls would sit on one side of the room, the boys on the other. There were 2 or 3 full size windows on each size and a stage at the end of the building. A black board was painted across the end of the stage.
A large water cooler was located between the two doors and two of the older boys would go to a nearby home and bring back a bucket of water to put in the cooler. Two of the older boys attending the school in the 1920s and who went for the water were Evans DENDY and Jack HOLLEMAN.
The room was heated by an iron school house heater. Parents brought the wood to the school, but the teacher started the fire; and with help from the boys, they kept the fire going all day.
The students had a short recess in the morning and afternoon and took an hour from classes for lunch. A small bell was rung to call the students back to classes.
Mr. George RILEY was the County Superintendent of Education. Teachers were: Miss PAINE, Miss Emma CHAMPION, Mrs. Mattie Mae GORDON HODGE, Mrs. Clara Hill HARRINGTON, Miss Mary AUSLEY, Miss Ethel SHOEMAKER, Miss INEZ LOWRY, Miss Ruby COOK, Mrs. Mattie Mae FLEMING WEAVER and Mrs. Elzie PARKER GORDON.
This schools consolidated was consolidated with Woodland around 1920.
A 1914 photograph of Bethel School in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" identifies the following students: Brewer NEAL, Irvin GUEST, Jack LITTLE, Clytee GUEST, Lura HOLLEMAN, Lorene SMITH, Carse SMITH, Rena LITTLE, Victor DULANEY, Charlie MARTIN, Howard GUEST, Alvin HOLLEMAN, Opal RUSHING, Annie SMITH, Florence NEAL, Maida SMITH, Irene GUEST, Walter NICHOLS, Cecil NARON, William SMITH, Eugene MARTIN, Ruby HOLLEMAN, Lessie MARTIN and Mattie Mae GORDON, teacher.
A 1916 photo indentifies the following students: Avery DENDY, Irvin GUEST, Dewitt DENDY, Ray RUSHING, Carse SMITH, Clytee GUEST, Betty AUSTIN, Lillian AUSTIN, Rena LITTLE, Lorena SMITH, John Thomas DENDY, Illa Mae NEAL, Lura HOLLEMAN, Mattie Lou AUSTIN, Opal RUSHING, Alvin HOLLEMAN, Howard GUEST, William SMITH, Victor DULANEY, Dovie HODGES, Teacher Miss Mary AUSLEY, Irene GUEST, Maida SMITH, Ludie AUSTIN, Ruby HOLLLEMAN, Alta AUSTIN, Lottie DULANEY and Annie SMITH.
Submitted by: Ola Martin Davis
Bluff Spring School was located about 3 miles south of Houston on the Old
Starkville Road. The building was a one room, one teacher school and heated with
a wood burning stove placed in the center of the building. A black board
extended all the way across the building at the rear.
The seats or desks were made of heavy wood and two students shared each desk. There were also long benches on the stage for classes.
Water was carried to the school from the homes of Joe MARTIN and Jason PORTER.
In 1910, Miss Ola DAVIS (Mrs. Charley VERELL) taught in the Bluff Springs School. While she was the teacher, a group photograph was made of the students by the side of the building. Some of the students at that time were: Clay HOLLINGSWORTH; Robert ARMSTRONG; Tommy LEWIS; Lizzie and Syble FARR; Island ELZY; Chester and Branyon McGEE; Lillie Bell, Chester, Nell, Nollie, and App PORTER; Henry, Florence and Robert NABORS; Dwight and Earlene MARTIN. Miss DAVIS boarded with Mr. Joe MARTIN.
Some of the students attending the school in 1912 were: Nettie and Dewitt TRAMMEL; Dwight, Earlene, Dewett, Grady and Ola MARTIN; Nell, Eddy Lum, App and May PORTER; Tommy Lewis, Robert Armstrong, Syble and Evans FARR.
In 1915 Mr. Jeva WINTERS was the teacher and some of the students were: James, Austin, Milas and Lizzie GANN; Annie lou and Irene CANIPE; Herman, Turner, Russell and Alga Mae KING; Nell, Chess, App, Lilie and Eddy LUM; Mae PORTER; Henry, Florence, Robert and Lottie NABORS; Irene and Horace KILGORE; Dwight, Earlene, Dewitt, Grady, Ola and Colette MARTIN; Armstorng, Herbert, Reno and Syble FARR; Monroe FLYNN and Truman TRAMMELL.
During the years 1918-1920, Mr. H. F. (Flenoy) SANDERSON was the teacher. In 1920, Mrs. Lula PADEN began teaching. Some of Mrs. PADEN's students were: Eddy Lum PORTER, Mae, Lyndon and Oris PORTER; Stella, Minnie Lee, Lucille, Ethel and Walter DAVIS; Herbert, Paul, Bill and Reno FARR; Jane, Austin, Milas and Lizzie GANN; Doyle HUFFMAN; Minnie Bell and J. D. DAVIS; Monroe FLYNN; Dewitt, Grady, Ola, Colette and Etoyle MARTIN; B. A. and T. J. BROWN; Corrine HOLLINGSWORTH; Ray, Cecil and Evans LOVELACE.
Other teachers at the school were: Ms. Inez DAVIS; Mable DAVIS; Lillian FERELL and Ruby LAND WEAVER.
Bluff Springs was consolidated with Houston school.
Note: When this story was submitted in 1984/85, Mrs Oma BLISSARD was 100 years old and living in Saltillo. She also taught at Bluff Springs.
Submitted by: Mary Louise Ray Marks
In the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I", Mary Louise RAY MARKS submitted a photo
of the Bonner School. Students identified in the photo are: Fred MORGAN, Forrest
BURT (?), Leander NOLAN, Lee DOSS (?), Mae NOLAN, Ida DOSS, Ollie NOLAN, Fonnie
BURT (?), Alsie MORGAN, Sam BURT (?),Ercy NOLAN (?), Annie Bell White (?), Nora
Odelia NOLAN, Ada DOSS, Jim WHITE (?), Bill DOSS, and John WHITE (?).
As you can see, some of these student's identities is questioned and several students in the photo were not identified at all.
From W. P. A. Records
The Brown School was first located about 7 miles southeast of Houston. It was
established shortly after the Civil War; though the exact date is
The building was constructed from logs with a stick and mud chimney. The seats were split log benches.
The school began as a subscription school, with two teachers. Some of the teachers who taught at Brown School were: Jimmie BAIRD, Mrs. Lizzie DEHAY, Mrs. Pallie HOLLINGSORTH, John PEARSON, Ophelia PORTER and Gertrude DOSS.
The school was later moved across the branch about one half mile to the Ed COUCH place and a better building was built.
In 1929, the school was consolidated with Macedonia. Some of the last students to attend Brown School were: the MAYFIELD boys and girls; Helen ASHBY, Billie and Jimmie BROWN, Ray JOHN, Will ASHBY, the HARMONs, CRIDDLEs, AUTREYs, GILHEMs and the DOSS family children.
Students identified in a photo taken approximately 1915 and published in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" are: Lona DOSS, Myrtie DOSS, Mamie Lee BRAND, Dolly WHITT, Evans FINN, Lizzie SISK, Bertid DOSS, Elbert SISK, Robert DOSS, Adell TADLOCK, Willie TADLOCK, Maybelle WHITT, Lela DOSS, Ethel BROWN, Minnie GANN, Elmer FINN< Hattie GANN, Lora HARMON, Lundy GANN, Roy DOSS, John DOSS, Otha WHITT, Nolan FINN, Rolin FINN, Willie SISK, Park FINN and Mrs. Mary AUSLEY, teacher.
Buena Vista Schools:
Submitted by Donald Evans Trenor
During the middle of the nineteenth century, the first school building in Buena
Vista was constructed. Its location was about two hundred yards south of the
intersection of the "back road" with old Hwy 8, the Buena Vista-Egypt road. The
school was a large two room frame building.
In 1885, the Buena Vista Normal College was established and a charter was issued the same year. Under the leadership of J. S. DICKEY and L. T. DICKEY of Kentucky, the school was prosperous for a time. In 1887 and 1888, the number of pupils in attendance was 302 and the faculty numbered 9. Music and art were taught, in addition to the regular cirriculum.
The Board of Directors for Buena Vista Normal College were: Dr. J. T. PARKER, Dr. J. T. MURDOCK, Capt. J. L. Pulliam, Dr. W. S. Williams, Maj. L. C. Sugg, G. T. Stillman, A. J. Aycock, A. A. Thompson, J. Y. Bell, and J. C. Williams.
The college was patronized from seven states and thirty-nine counties in MS.
In 1889, the college had retrograded and the faculty numbered only four. In 1891, Rev. I. A. SMITH and R. L. McDONALD took charge of the school. The standards of the school had been raised under each new administration and had few equals in the state.
Among the students of the Normal College were: Adm. R. H. LEE, who went on to Annapolis; H. S. and C. S. SPRAGGINS, who wnet on to pastor Methodist charges in Memphis and Texas; T. N. LEWIS, wo became a prominent lawyer in Okolona, and J. A. KING, who helped develop the Egypt community into a prosperous railhead in the 1880s.
By 1908, the Normal College had ceased to exist and the building was chosen to house the Chickasaw Co. Agricultural High School. The Agricultural school can boast to being the first of its kind in the world to begin operation.
The Agricultural School had two dormitories; one for girls, another for boys. Mr. C. A. COBB was the first principal; and the first two teachers were: Mrs. Elsie GRIFFIN and Miss Lois JACKSON (Mrs. Jack PULLIAM). Over the years, others who taught at the Agricultural School were: C. D. CORK, Mr. WELDON, S. A. MILLER, Jeva WINTER, S. R. DEAN, A. A. Scott, J. ASkew, W. C. LODEN, Ray HAMILTON, John PEARSON, and Mr. DIXON. During Mr. PEARSON's tenure, a brick building was erected.
In 1937, the Agricultural school closed and the building was then used as an eight grade grammar school; classes meeting in two rooms on the west wing. Miss Cleo GILLIAM (Mrs. Joe NELSON) taught at the grammar school for a while. For most of the time between 1937 and the closing of the grammar school in 1940, Miss Hilda CHRESTMAN (Mrs. Arthur THOMPSON) of Houlka and Miss Nelda REEDER (Mrs. Joe T. OWINGS) of Hamilton were the teachers.
The Buena Vista elementary school was housed in a separate building during the first three decades of the twentieth century and possibly on into the 1800s.
Members of the Buena Vista class of 1913-1914 were: Mack JONES, Okolona; Henry Grady ABBOTT, Trebloc; Gertrude McCAMEY, Okolona; Harry Lee PARCHMAN, Shannon; Lucille HAPER, Buena Vista; Will Jim LINN, Treloc; Annie Belle Woodruff, McCONDY; Johnny Monroe PEARSON, McCNDY; Kittie Roland SANDERSON, Buena Vista; Willie Lee NORMAN, Houlka; William Lee PEARSON, McCONDY. Diplomas were delivered to these students on May 18th, 1914 by Hon. J. A. LEWIS.
A 1914 Buena Vista High School photo published in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" identifies the following students: Mack JONES, James William LINN, Willie PEARSON, John PEARSON, Grady ABBOTT, teacher Mr. Flenoy SANDERSON, Annie Bell WOODRUFF, Kitty SANDERSON, Harry PARCHMAN, Ruth PARKER, and Lucille PARKER.
Center Hill School:
From WPA Records and Miss Mable Calvin
The Center Hill School building was very small, built of rough lumber, did not have a ceiling, was unpainted and only had two windows. It was located four miles northwest of Houston on the road to Van Vleet. Seats were homemade and heat was from a wood heater. Parents brought the wood that was burned for heat.
In 1898 through 1899, the school only had one teacher, Miss Maggie FAULKNER and twelve students.
Around 1920, Center Hill School merged with Concord School.
Center Point School:
Submitted by Sara Alice Blissard Lowe
Center Point School was actually located just across the Chickasaw Co. line in Calhoun Co. Children living in Sect 6 and the west half of Sect 7 in Chickasaw Co were placed in this school. Before the formation of Calhoun Co, this area was a part of Chickasaw Co.
The school was a small one teacher school with Annie Mae LANGLEY FOX serving as the teacher. Other teachers at the school were Clara McGEE and Oma BURNS BLISSARD. Mrs. BLISSARD was 100 years old and still living at the time the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" was complied. The book was published in 1985.
Between 1926-1927, there were only seven pupils in this school from Chickasaw Co. In 1927-1928, there were fourteen students. Later, students were required to attend school in the county in which they resided.
Submitted by Mrs. Joe (Elizabeth) Criddle
Chickasaw Academy opened its doors in the school year of 1968-69 and was the first private elementary school in the county in many years. It began with only 28 students in grades one through eight and was housed in the old Van Vleet school house.
Mrs. Ralph MITCHELL served as head teacher the first two years of the school's operation. Other teachers the first year were: Mrs. Bob LOGAN, Mrs. Percy KYLE and Mrs. Gerald BUCKLEY. Board members were: Robert ANDERSON, R. B. FILGO, Mrs. Lois MATHIS, Ed SYKES, Wm. E. WALKER and Sid WHITLOCK.
Students attending Chickasaw Academy the first year were from the following families: ANDERSON, CARWELL, CORLEY, FILGO, HARPER, HENRY, HOLLIMAN, HOLTON, JONES, MATHIS, STOVALL, SYKES and WHITLOCK.
Most of these students came from Van Vleet and Okolona; but later students attended that lived in Houlka, Houston, Montpelier, Pheba, Pontotoc, Shannon, Thorn, Tupelo, Verona and other surrounding communities.
After the first year was successful, the ninth grade was added in the 1969-1970 school year and the academy had a total number of eighty-one students.
The 1970-1971 school year found the school enlarging in both space and classes. This year would find high school classes added; bringing the number of students to one hundred and fifty-three.
Students in the first graduating class were: Ruth SOPER, Charles ANDERSON III, and William E. WALKER.
Faculty for the 1970-1971 school year consisted of: Howard C. BOWLES of Okolona as the first Headmaster; Mrs. Fred STEVENS as Secretary; George C. MORROW was the first football coach; Jane TRENOR taught piano and assisted with singing groups; Gary NORMAN taught history. There was a total of fourteen teachers on the staff during this school year.
In the 1975-1976 school year; enrollment reached an all time high with one hundred and seventy-seven students enrolled. During this school year, football coach Kenneth DAVIS began working with girls and boys basketball teams, though there was not a gym on the campus. A metal building was erected in the 1977-1978 school year to serve as a gym.
Headmasters who have served Chickasaw Academy are: Mr. Ralph MITCHELL, Howard C. BOWLES, Woodrow BROWN, Sammy GRAVES, Floyd Miller DAVIS, Perry WHITE, Robert BLACK, (?) GRISHAM, James LEWIS, Carl MORRIS, Hal M. HALE, Gary NORMAN, Marvin PEARSON, Jr. and James STIDHAM.
Football coaches for the academy have been: George C. MORROW, Charles HOLLIMAN, Herman SEYMORE, Sammy GRAVES, Larry GANN, William HOLMAN, Kenneth DAVIS, Terry RHODES, and Gene DAVIS. Some of these men served as assistant coaches.
Clemmon Creek School
Submitted by Mrs. Alvin Davidson
1921, Clemmon Creek School was founded and was located between Atlanta and Woodland. In 1937, it was moved near Hwy 8 west and the name was changed to Midway School. In 1952, Clemmon Creek consolidated with the Woodland School.
Teachers at Clemmon Creek have been: Miss Carlena SMITH, Miss Elizabeth ECHOLS, Mrs. Rosetta BERTA, Miss MOLLIE CONNER, Mr. Kaleb CONNER, Mrs. Lizzie Jane JOHNSON, Mrs. Betty Mae JOHNSON, Mr. Anderson PORTER, Mrs. Cordie Lee JONES, Mrs. Addie B. BASKIN, Mrs. Etha ARMSTRONG, Mrs. Lou Emma JOHNSON, Mrs. Venetta WOODARD, Mrs. Lizzie JENNINGS, Mrs. Lou Mary GREEN, Mrs. Tolivar WILLIAMS, and Graham TOWNSEND.
Submitted by Mrs. J. M. (Ann) Phillips
Coleville School was located between the Little Owl and span Owl Creeks about two miles from the Chickasaw and Pontotoc Co. line, on what is now known as Pontotoc Ridge.
The school building was one room with two doors and three windows; and about 16 x 20 feet in size. On the west wall was a high shelf where students would place their lunches to keep the dogs that followed them to school from eating them.
On the east wall was the blackboard and the school was heated by a cast iron wood stove in the center of the room. Benches were around the stove for the students to sit on and they held their writing tablets on their knees to write.
Near the door on the south of the building was a bench where the water bucket and dipper were placed. Unless a student was fortunate to own a plastic folding cup, they made drinking cups from a piece of paper from their writing tablets. Years later, the bucket and dipper were replaced with a water cooler.
On weekends, the school was used for worship services. Two of the preachers remembered by Mrs. PHILLIPS were John SAXON and John KIMBROUGH.
Some of the families were: Henry and Carrie KIMBROUGH, children: Maie Daire, Ann, Ollie, Max and Jimmie; John and Ozella KIMBROUGH, children: Felix and John Ellis; Edd and Gertrude RIDDLE, children: Bertha, Clyde, Gwendolene, Addie Lee and Ruth; Johnny and Mittie BROCK, child: Otis; Edie JONES, children: Estelle, Thad, Christine, and Robert Jewel; Oscar and Leola ASHLEY, children: Virgie, Irvin, Mae and Ethel; Rufe and Nanny PANNELL, children: Nora, Ross, Wiley, Albert, Ara, and Floyd; George and Josie DAVIS, children: Flunoy, Tom James, Ira Burl, Vivien and triplets Ervin, Earl and Earline; Porter and Nora FOSTER, children: Henry, Jessie, Burnett and Irene; Clara and Lee DAVIDSON, children: Lucille, Irene, Merle, Guy Hugh, Jewel and Maylene; Oscar and Leathie COLE, child: Marvin; and Mr. and Mrs ASTON, children: Buleah, Cheser, Buren, Goldie, Hubert and Willie.
A 1916 photo of Coleville School published in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" has the following students identified: Gwen RIDDLE, Ollie KIMBROUGH, Wilburn COLLUMS, Earlee KIMBROUGH, Floyd PANNELL, Clyde RIDDLE, Annie KIMBROUGH, Aleen WATSON, Vivial DAVID, Bertha RIDDLE, Sannie Green WATSON, Alvert PANNELL, Ara PANNELL, Bert KIMBROUGH, Merle DAVIDSON, Nadaire KIMBROUGH, Burl DAVIS, Irene DAVIDSON, Tom James DAIS, Nora PANNELL, Flenoy DAVIS and teacher Clara ABBOTT.
Submitted by Mrs. Linda Davis Rhodes
Concord School was orginally known as Wakahoota School, but changed its name to
Concord School around 1900. Around 1920, Concord School was consolidated with
Submitter of this information, Mrs. Linda Davis RHODES began attending Concord School about 1905 at the age of five. Her first grade teacher was Miss Maude GLADNEY.
The school building had two doors and the boys would enter through one door and be seated on one side of the room; the girls entering through the other and being seated on the opposite side of the room. Children sat at desks that would seat two students. They carried their lunches and a bucket of water, which was gotten from a nearby house, was provided for the children to drink.
At Christmas time, there was always a Christmas tree with homemade decorations and popcorn. On Friday afternoons, there were concerts and since the school had no lighting, night programs could not be held.
County Superintendent Mr. George RILEY would attend school programs and visit the school, almost monthly.
Teachers, other than Miss Maude GLADNEY were: Mrs. Kate SANDERSON TABB, Mrs. Jim WAD+LDROP ATKINSON, Evelyn DAVIS, Nellie Rose MARION, Ethel VANCE, Rose SPRINGER DENDY, Trude RAMAGE, and Mr. Fox WILSON.
There were thirty to forty students in this one room school and grades one thrugh eight were taught.
Submitted by Kathryn Roebuck, her daughter
Congress School was located about three or four miles southwest of Woodland. It
was above average for a country school for the neighborhood was well populated
for its time. The building was a frame building.
There wasn't a water well on the school grounds, so water was carried from a nearby home. The boys always thought it was a privilege to be able to go for water.
Recess was an important part of the children's day and they enjoyed a nice playground.
Many of the children were talented and could sing, play different musical instruments and act in skits. Friday always meant a spelling bee and a concert.
Egypt, MS Schools
Submitted by J. A. King III
The first school of Egypt was on two acres of land that was deeded by Mrs. M. A.
BLAIR to "The White Public" and was known as the Egypt Hedgerow College; housed
in a small log building. The only teacher remembered is Miss Betty JARMAN,
though there were others.
After twenty-five years of operation, in 1904, a new frame school was opened about one-fourth of a mile east. Among some of the first teachers at the new school were: Miss Fannie StJohn, Mrs. GATES, Miss GARNER and Miss Kate BRANNIN. By 1922, the school staff numbered three with Mr. COLEMAN as superintendent and Miss Tommye DENLEY and Miss Ruth PROVINE teachers.
Under Mr. COLEMAN's supervision Chalk Bluff, Egypt and another small school were consoldated a a new brick building was built. In 1924, Mr. George DeWitt DENLEY became the superintendent.
During the depression, funds for schools were cut and one year there were funds to run the school for only seven months. When the Buena Vista and McCondy Schools were combined with Egypt, some financial relief was found.
Around 1948, the Egypt high school was consolidated with the Okolona Separate school to relieve some of the financial problems for the Okolona School.
Among the last teachers of the Egypt School were: Mrs. J. R. WESTBROOK, Mrs HARDWICK and Mrs. KELLY. The Egypt School was finally closed in 1953.
A 1924 photo of Egypt High School published in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" has the following students identified: Wilmont ROBERTS, Hopsie WEST, Lucille SULLIVAN, Prof. COLEMAN, Frank COLEMAN, James MASSEY, Jock DeMOVILLE, Tennyson COOK, Hugh MORRIS, Howard Ballard. (not pictured: Heard HILL and Alice PILGREEN)
A 1913 photo of Egypt School identifies the following students: J. T. LYON, Pearl JACKSON, teacher, Mrs. J. T. LYON, Bessie PORTER, Ben PEEL, Maggie HOWELL, Van THOMPSON, Mary PEEL, Earl THOMPSON, Nettie Mae EVANS, Grace BOWLES, Bonnie THOMPSON, Elizabeth EVANS, Earl ERVIN, Blanche PETERSON, Charles EVANS, Walter HOWELL, Myrtis KING, (?) BOWLES, Tillie PEEL, Annie HADLEY, Rubie HOWELL and (?) HOWELL.
Egypt Mennonite School
Submitted by Katherine Koehn
September 1975 brought the opening of the Egypt Mennonite School, housed in a
building that was erected for both school and church purposes. Sanford UNRUH,
Oliver GOSSEN and Lavern UNRUH made up the school board. This was a one room
school with seven grades and one teacher. Students numbered twelve.
In 1978, a building was built with two classrooms, a gym, office, library, kitchen and restrooms. There were two teachers and classes were divided between the two rooms; grades one through four in one room, grades five through eight in the other.
By 1982, the need for a third classroom was filled by making the gym smaller and adding a third classroom. Classes were then divided between the three classrooms: grades one and two, grades three through five and grades six through eight. At this time, there were three teachers and an aide employed by the school.
Additional board members have been added over the years and now number five. Teachers have come from various places, including Miss., Calif., Missouri, Kansas, Okla., Wisconsin and Canada.
From W. P. A. Records
Prior to 1870, all Enon schools were taught in tenant houses and private homes.
In 1870, the Enon School building was a one room log house with crude homemade
furniture. W. D. COUCh and Mit COLBERT were among the organizers of the
The school has been moved from its original location in 1870 to a location by the Enon Church on a three acre tract purchased from the COUCH estate.
The building used in the early 1930s was a two room frame structure and was painted.
Around 1882, Mr. Calvin ABERNETHY and Miss Mollie ABERNETHY were teachers. Mr. R. H. COUCH attend this school in the old building and later taught here. All his children attened the school and his daughter, Lorene COUCH taught at Enon School until it was moved to Houston around 1940.
Submitted by Mary K. Mario
Friendship School was located across the road from the Friendship Presbyterian
Church. It was a one room, one teacher school. The original building consisting
of two rooms was blown down during a storm and the new building was not ready
when the school year began. Therefore, classes were held in the church while the
new building was completed.
Classes were held for beginners through at least the eighth grade and the school term was for six months.
Some of the teachers were: Mrs. Mattie Lee ATKINSON STUBBLEFIELD, Mrs. Artie BISHOP SAXON, and Mrs. Pinkie BAKER.
A photo taken about 1895-1898 and published in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" has the following students identified: Jay Hugh PEDEN, Mark GUINN, Elias GUINN, Clyde ATKINSON, Jessie McGRAW, Mamie McGRAW, Robert HOMAn, Mytle WILLIAMS, Effie May PEDEN, Annie ATKINSON, Birdie WILLIAMS, teacher Miss Estelle WALDROP, Lula McGRAW, Lula May GUINN, Nannie RUTLEDGE, Millie B. TUNNELL, Robert HOMAN, Paul WILLIAMS, Albert ATKINSON, Leland HARRIS, Julia PEDEN, Nora WILLIAMS, Ora MCGRAW, Liza RUTLEDGE, Jim RUTLEDGE, Wilson McGRAW and Sam TUNNELL.
Submitted by Dorothy Nell Knox
Hall Siding School was located on the old O. H. & C. C. Railroad three miles
west of Houston. This was a one room school with a heater in the middle of the
room to provide heat. Students sat at a desk with a bench for their
There was only one teacher and about twenty-five students. Some of the teachers were: Inez DAVIS, Anna GRIFFIN, and Mildred EASTMAN.
Text books were not free and were passed down to younger children in a family or easily sold to other students.
Some of the families who lived near the school were: NARON, BURGESS, DOSS and Lorene DOSTER.
On June 1, 1928 the school board voted to discontinue the school at the close of the 1928-1929 school term. However, on Feb 20, 1929; the board voted to continue the school until a rock road to Houston could be built. On May 8, 1942, Hall Siding School was consolidated with Houston.
Submitted by Mrs. Gladys Wilson House
Hickory Bluff School was located just west of Doyle McQUARY's house near Everett
GRIFFIN's (or the old Emmitt DENDY place). This was a one room frame building
and the school was in existence before the 1900s.
Before 1920, Mrs. Gladys WILSON HOUSE and her sister attended this school. One spring day, some sage that had been gathered and placed in the loft to dry for brooms, caught fire and the building burned. An old house was given to the school by Mr. Jimmy GORDON to house the school for the remainder of the term.
Nannie Mae OWEN was the teacher and the next year, the school was moved to Anchor.
Hickory Ridge School
Submitted by Charlene Grimes Vance
The first Hickory Ridge School was built in the 1800s on Joe BLISSARD's lot in
Sec 2 13-2 Range 2. This was a one room log structure with benches for seats.
Ben HITCHCOCK and the citizens of the community built the building.
The first teacher was Mrs. Julie BAKER. Other teachers were: Caroline BROWN, Mary WINTERS, and Lizzie BEDFORD.
Fox and Geese and Stealing Sticks were two of the games the children played. Friday would be the day for Cross-Spelling (Spelling Bee).
The school was moved to the Luby BLISSARD land and when it was put up for sale to the highest bidder, Mrs. BLISSARD purchased it for $25.00 or $50.00.
Teachers at the school after it was moved were: Walter MORGAN, Henry WARDLOW, Carrie RAY, Lorie WHITE and Joe HARRIS.
After the school was purchased by Mrs. BLISSARD, the next school was taught in Manville Camp for a short time. Mr. Scott MOONEYHAM gave one of the rooms in his home for classes and Bessie JOLLY was the teacher.
Later, Mr. Fred PEARSON gave a lot for a new school building, located about three-fourths of a mile from the first building. The county furnished the lumber and hired Mr. BROWN to build the new school. A few new desks were purchased and benches were used for seating.
This was a two teacher school and there were between forty and fifty students each school term. Teachers in the new school were: Mrs. Jim MORPHIS, Lorene MARTIN, Mr. and Mrs. Jim WARNICKS, Mr. and Mrs. Joe BLISSARD, Mr. Tom SCARBROUGH, Clytee EDMONDSON, Monty BURGESS, Lizie BERRY, Etta Clark, Mildred PEARSON and Vera SUMNER.
On the first Monday in March 1938, the school building burned.
Some of the students attending Hickory Ridge were: Carmel CLARK, Gaynelle PICKLER, Lavern LANCASTER, Francis LANCASTER, Juanita WALTERS, Birdie TAYLOR, Magdolene TAYLOR, Virginia PETTIT, Imogene PETTIT, Annie Ruth CLARK, Ruby PETTIT, Scottie Sue ALFORD, Dollie LINDSEY, Goldie LINDSEY, Charlene GRIMES, Delois GRIMES, Lavada BLISSARD, Ruby HARRIS, Opal HARRIS, Myra Etta RHODES, Mary RHODES, Earl LUCIUS, James LUCIUS, Geraldine HARRIS, Thomas HANCOCK, Bethard McKIBBEN, Haskel WALTERS, Van WALTERS, Malcolm WALTERS, Oneal PETTIT, Pervie Lee GRIMES, Jr. Charles RHODES, Johnny RHODES, Leslie SUMNER, Wilburn TAYLOR and Billy CLARK.
In the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" there is a photograph of Hickory Ridge School in the early 1900s. Students identified in this photograph are: Floyd WAGNER, J. T. CLARK, Walter TURMAN, Vannie CLARK, Doc McLAUGHLIN, Maggie LUCIUS, Sybil PETTIT, Silas CARTER, David TURMAN, Farris TURMAN, Ruth HUNTER, Mildred McLAUGHLIN, Lorene HELMS, Mable WALTERS, Oma BLISSARD (teacher), Elmer GRIMES, Mattie Eunice HELMS, Bonnie BURGESS, Eva LOWERY, Vera WALTERS, Maude SAXON, Ms. Oma BLISSARD's sister, Will BLISSARD, Dee CLARK, Lonza BLISSARD, Hester CLARK, and Pervie Lee GRIMES.
Submitted by Mrs. Mary Jane Brownlee
There is very little information on the Hopewell School. If you have more
information; please submit it to Jackie Rhodes so that it can be
Hopewell School was founded in 1925. Two of the teachers that taught in the school were: Mrs. Mary Jane BRWONLEE and Mrs. Eddie PULLIAM.
New Houlka School:
Submitted by Earlene Peden and Patricia Gordon Thomas
January 14, 1907, Gov. Vardaman signed a proclamation to change the name of of
the village of New Houlka to the town of New Houlka. Before this change came
into effect; the citizens had already voted to issue bonds for the purpose of
building a school building. Members of the board were: T. J. PHILLIPS, J. E.
COBB, J. C. KIRBY and mayor W. T. TURNER.
Problems arose over the sale of the bonds and on Aug 27, 1907, the clerk was ordered to rescind the sale of the bonds. Finally, on Jan 27, 1908, a bid was awarded to a Chicago firm to build the school building.
Meanwhile, work had already begun on the building. Bricks for the school building were made at R. A. PULLIAM's brick kiln. Classes were being held in the Baptist and Methodist churches under the supervision of Professor J. S. PRICE.
A three plank walkway was built from the railroad to the school building in Nov, 1907.
As New Houlka grew, school enrollment increased. With so many walking up the stairway, it weakened and a new one was ordered to be built on Aug 16, 1916. In 1985, this stairway was still standing.
The Town Board gave up its direction of the school and on May 3, 1923; the citizens of the town voted to transfer the school building and its bonded debts to the district.
Principals following Professor in the early 1900s were: NEWELL, WEAVER, WINTER, COLLINS, and HENDERSON. In the 1920s, principals were: D. M. BRANTLEY, J. W. WADSWORTH, GEORGE W. DAVIS and Z. V. SUGG. Other principals included: Jeva WINTER, A. C. WEBB, M. T. PARDUE, W. H. JACKSON, J. L. TAYLOR, G. C. MILES, F. L. RAY, Fred WILSON, James TURNER and William COTTON.
Teachers between 1920 and 1930 were: Travis McCHARIS, Miss Ara BULLARD, Mrs. L. L. INGRAM, Mrs. J. T. LATIMER, Mrs. J. V. SUGG, Miss Carrie Lee HARRIS, Mrs. H. L. ANDREWS, J. P. TAYLOR, Miss Katherine GRACE, Mrs. B. H. THOMAS, Taylor MILEY, Miss Edith WILKINSON, Mrs. W. A. MARION, Mrs. D. C. DULANEY, Miss Moss DAVIS, Normer GILL, Mrs. Jeva WINTER, Miss Sue BOREN. H. H. Hurdle, Miss Naomi BEADENBURGH, Miss Mable WESSELL, Mrs. J. G. GRAVES, Mrs. Madge McCULLOUGH, Mrs. Jesse JUSYE, Miss Grace TOWERY, R. L. SMITH, Mrs. Eleanor SMITH, Mrs. Frances spanHAM, Lucille BARRETT, Mildred RUTH, Margaret NORMAN and Eudy MURFF.
Teachers for the years between 1930 and 1940 were: Miss Lucille KING, Miss Tellie MURFF HOLLADAY, Miss Mary Vance JOYNER, Miss Abbe STEWART, Miss Corrine WILSON, Miss Erlene PEDEN, Miss Nell PEDEN, Miss Katie DAVIS, Miss Sue PATTERSON, Joseph SCHLATER, Miss Phala PARKER, Mr. R. G. WINSTEAD, Miss Ella Mae GLADNEY, Mrs. Eloise KIRBY, Miss Kathryn MAXWELL, Miss Mary Ellen ARNOLD, Mrs. W. C. STEWART, A. G. SHEPHERD, Wade BARTON, Miss Ruby COLE, Miss Martha MEDLIN, Miss Dera CHRESTMAN, Miss Mary Frances SULLIVAN and Henning ANDREWS.
The years 1940 through 1950 found the following teachers at New Houlka School: W. B. CRITTENDON, H. J. KEITH, Louise MARION, Jimmy D. HOOD, Mrs. Crawford RAY, Mrs. Zura BLAKE, Mrs. Hilda THOMPSON, Mary K. MARION, Mrs. Madie MASON, Mrs. John COLLLUMS, J. P. BURT Mrs. C. C. RICHARDSON, Mrs. R. W. McKAY, C. P. BOWMAN, Gwendolyn Riddle CHRESTMAN, Mary Lucille NORMAN, Doris GOUDALOCK, Husie KIRBY, W. V. STOKES, Elizabeth LOWERY, and Mrs. A. G. SHEPHERD.
In the 1950 through 1960 time period, the following were teachers at New Houlka School: Mr. C. K. ALEXANDER, A. J. HARRINGTON, Clay J. GILLIAM, Mrs. Laura KAELHOFER, W. C. HENRY, Louise HARKNESS, Guy GERMANY, Edith KING, Maureen Collums NORMAN, Mrs Gertrude JACKSON, cLEO e. HARRINGTON, David WHITWORTH, Mrs. BeN HURT, Mrs. Sid BURT, Travis DYE, Mrs, Etoile MILES, Geraldine McCULLOUGH, Pearl WATTS, Herschell C. COGGINS, and Joy Hill KINARD.
Teachers for the years between 1960 and 1970 were: Elsie Allene RAY, Joyce HINTON, Lavee McGREGOR, Patricia Gordon THOMAS, Lola CARTER, Louise MURPHREE, Jessie MORRIS, Ralph THOMAS, Marjorie KEITH, Bernice PAAG, Jimmie Nell INMON, Ida J. VAUGHN, James CAVINESS, Jimmy Guy McDONALD, John t. ARNOLD, Clytee HARRIS, Arveria W. MAY, TRolver TOWNSENd and Birdie BURDINE.
Listed as teachers between 1970 and 1985 were: Linda BAILEY, Katherine DAVIS, Jimmy Dale TOWNSEND, Nelson FITTS, Frank DOWSING, Katherine EVANS, Doris EASLEY, David WESTMORELAND, Jr., Russell COTHRAN, Luther W. TERRY, Jr., Melba ARON, Dempsey CHRESTMAN, Martha Crawford FITTS, Carolyn LONG, Beth RASPBERRY, Brenda Kay HALL, Kim PARK, Dorothy SMITH, Margo CHRESTMAN TERRY, Claire Keith EASLEY, Sherrill S. NAUGHER, Mack STEGALL, Norma WASHINGTON, Sue BARLOW, Patsy McCULLOUGH LUSTY, Susan Berry PEPPER, Beverly PETTIGREW DOSS, Brenda HARLOW, Nanci GRAY, Melissa ALFORD, Cheryl COLE ANDREWS, Regina BALDWIN, Nina BOLDEN, Marilyn BURT, Matha CAPPLEMAN, Marilyn CHRESTMAN, Betsy Aron COLLUMS, Jan EASLEY, Nancy HAMILTON, Marie HARDIN, Lisa HILL, Rosa CLARK JOHNSON, Diane LEWIS, Cindy MORGAN, Albert RAYFORD, Carol STOVALL, Angela MCCOLLUGH TUNNELL, Lisa WASHINGTON and Linda CARTER.
Over the years, Houlka School was consolidated with several smaller schools and around 1967, the school integrated.
A photo of the Houlka High School class of 1918-1919 published in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" has the following students identified: Verma THORN, Grace WESSELS, Lola LUKER, Lotie JEMISON, Wilma BEASLEY, Annie ARMOUR, Lola STACEY, Mae TOWREY, Fannie ROBERTS, Durward LESTER, Irene HUTCHINSON, Margarett NORMAN, Blanche TUNNELL, Lorraine NORMAN, Florence SAVELEY, Bessie NORMAN, Ethel NORMAN, Avie GARDNER WARE, Nell HOLLADAY, Hugh BARNES, Marion GUINN, James GLADNEY, James THOMPSON, Joe BARNES, Willie Curt BROWN, Joe McJUNKIN and Paul NORMAN.
Houston Public Schools:
Submitted by Mrs. Bennett Blanton
In 1888, the Houston Normal College was founded by Hosea B. and Sallie GARRETT
ABERNETHY, natives of Pontotoc Co. The school consisted of two large, two-story
buildings. One housed the grade school pupils, the other the college students. There was an auditorium with a seating capacity of one thousand. These
buildings were heated by boxwood heaters and the lighting was large reflecting
Mr. and Mrs. ABERNATHY left Houston in June 1901 to teach school in Paris, TX. After they left Houston, the school was presided over by W. T. FOSTER in 1901-1902; J. M. YOUNG, 1902-1903; and E. L. COLLINS in 1903-1906. Between 1906-1926, Houston High School served the community under the leadership of Mr. L. B. REID from Tyler, TX.
A red brick building served the community from 1927 until it burned on Sept 30, 1973. By 1950, the enrollment had outgrown his building and a one story red brick building, with a gym had been built on the old GRIFFIN property. An addition to this building was constructed in 1959 and included a cafeteria.
Prior to May, 1959, the Houston Municipal Separate School District covered thirteen square miles and served the area within the corporate limits of Houston and some of the outlying territory. One hundred and sixty square miles of county territory was added in May, 1969 and became a part of the Houston Municipal Separate School District.
In the fall of 1966, Jyles JONES transferred from the Chickasaw High School under the Freedom of Choice plan and was the only black student enrolled that year. The first black graduate of Houston High School was Robert FLANAGAN of the class of 1969. In 1970-1972, the former all black Chickasaw Co. School building was converted into a Middle School and served grades seven through nine.
During the early days of integration, there was a lot of tension, frustration and uncertainty. But, strong leadership, tolerance, understanding, cooperative efforts and much prayer made integration work for the schools.
In 1973, Diana RICHARDSON was the first black valedictorian of a graduating class and on Sept 28, 1973; Thelma WHITE was crowned the first black homecoming queen.
After the building burned in 1973, the high school and middle school students shared the Middle School facilities. High School students attended classes from 7:30 AM-12:30 PM; Middle School students attended classes from 1:30 PM-5:30 PM.
In the meantime, the Houston Vocational Center was being constructed and trailers secured from the government houses all high school students from 1973 through 1976. The graduating class of 1976 had a building of their own only for their freshman year. The honor of being the first class to graduate from the new Houston High School building went to the graduating seniors of 1977.
Mr. D. B. BLANTON, Superintended of 1976, contributed the following list of administrative staff through the years. Superintendents were: 1906-1907, L. B. REID; 1937-1946, S. F. SMITH; 1946-1960, W. V. METTS; 1960-1965, A. L. LOWERY; 1965-1977, D. B. BLANTON; 1978-1981, Jack CHEATHAM; and 1981-present (1985), Raymond MABRY. From 1969-1977, C. C. Lowry was the Administrative Assistant.
George H. CARVER served as Houston Vocational Center Director during 1974-1975 and Alford BELL served from 1978-present (1985).
High School Principals were: 1946-1958, Mrs. Ora Felton GOZA; 1958-1960, D. B. BLANTON; 1960-1961, Jack MITCHELL; 1961-1962, F. Perry WHITE; 1962-1965, D. B. BLANTON; 1965-1969, C. C. LOWRY; 1969-1971, Jimmy DEMPSEY; 1971-1972, Robert BOX; 1972-1975, Ralph THOMAS; 1975-present (1985), R. L. GRIMES.
Middle School Principals were: 1970-1972, Ralph THOMAS; 1972-1973, Charles PARHAM; 1973-1976, Glen CHISOLM; 1977-1979, Gerald HEGAN; 1979-1981, Steve CARR and 1981-present (1985) Warren COUSIN.
Elementary School Principals were: 1953-1954, Mrs. Emma ABERNETHY; 1954-1958, D. B. BLANTON; 1958-1965, Jor BRIGANCE; 1966-1975, R. L. GRIMES; 1975-1976, Charles PARHAM; 1976-1984, Mris Anne P. DEXTER, 1984-present (1985), J. D. DYSON, Jr.
There are several old photos of the school and some of the school classes. One photo of the first girls basketball team have the following members identified: Erin HIGGINBOTHAM, Maggie Tate EVANS, Maynette EVANS, POrin FORD, Paul BRADFORD (mascot), Archie HOBSON, Florence FORD, Leland REID (coach) and Cecila BREVARD. (Although the name Archie Hobson seems to be a male name; except for the coach, females are in the photo).
A photo identifies the following as members of the 1910 Tenth Grade Class: Pro. L. B. Reid, Superintendent; Miss JOHNSON, Miss GRESHAM, Mabel PRATT, Ola DENDY, Cecila BREVARD, Erin HIGGINBOTHAM, Margaret RISH, Tom HAMILTON, Leon WOODS, Archie HOBSON, Orin FORD, Florence FORD, Allen DARROW, Bertram HILL, Larkin EVANS, Emmet JOHNSON, and Crouch PRATT.
Another photo identfies the following as members of the 1924 Freshman Class: Malcolm DAVIS, Ernest GLOVER, Harold SIGLER, Prof. L. B. REID, Henry GUEST, Lorette BAIRD, Frank GILLIAM, Lemuel DOSSETT, Hugh McBRYDE, Russell WRIGHT, Josie HARRINGTON, Nona WILLIAMS, Lottie NABORS, Louise MARION, Frances HELMS, Estelle McKINNEY, Grace McWHOTER, Virginia LYLES, Kate THOMAS, Bonnie HENLEY, Wilma BAIRD, Elizabeth KNOX, and Elease DAVIS.
Members identified in the Freshman Class of 1925 photo are: James Claude HIGHTOWER, Frank LAND, Ralph BROWN, Clayton HARRINGTON, Jim HASKINS, Joe L. DAVIS, Jr., James Robert GILFOY, Carse SMITH, Gus DENDY, Russell WRIGHT, Irvin GREGORY, Malcomb ?, J. R. Priest, Jr., Evans SEAY, Lucille WEAVER, Olene FERGUSON, Jessie DAVIS, Mary Ketchum MARION, Florence GOZA, Edna CHENAULT, Yvette BUCKINGHAM, Margaret SHELL, Martha Lovette TABB, Maxine RANDALL, Mary Ruth JOHNSON, Dorothy BRYANT, Gussie Mae HENLEY, Guinette ROEBUCK, Loraine HOUSTON, Lorena SMITH and Dottie McKENNIE.
A photograph of the 1939 Football Team identifies the following members: Rush KELLUMS, Charles O. TRENOR, Doyle DAVIS, James RAY, Henry WALDROP, Haarley WARE, Gillam DAVIS, Red BAINE, Pete DOSSETT, Joe RHODES, Russell PUTNAM, and Top WILLIAMS.
A photograph of the Houston High School Band in the mid 1930s identifies the following band members: Drum Major Irma SYERS; Director D. Wells BARTON, Chas. O. TRENOR, Paul BEASLEY, Levert KIMBALL, Sam Tom SCOTT, George ARMSTRONG, Eleanor TORNWALL< Hazel Bess KILBY, Billy ATKINSON, Mary Lee TRENOR, C. B. BUCHILLON, Schultz NELSON, Dera SIGLER, R. C. KIRBY, Floye SEAY, Russell PUTNAM, Olivia HARRINGTON, Lee BURGESS, Ruble BURGESS, Eric JENSON, Sonny PAGE, Wilford DOSS and Frances HARRINGTON.
Members of the 1917 High School Class are identified in a photo as: Zelma WELLS, Ruby Lee FORD, Gladys WILKERSON, May Lorene FORD, Tessie COOK, Ben WOODS, Dannie GORDON, Bryan SMITH, Bertha May BUCHANAN, Everett JEANS, Hugh Young WEST, Evans RILEY, Gertrude REID, and Walterene BEASLEY.
There is a phot of the fifth and sixth grades of the Houston Scholl around 1910, although a lot of the students are unidentified. Those that have been identified in the photo are: Curtis DAVIS, Clarence BOYD, Walterrene BEASLY, Annie WALDROP, Mattie KYLE, Cora WOODWARD, Gladys WILKINSON, Margaret WALKER, Queenie GRIFFIN, Gertrude REID, Byars SHEARER, Lizzie FORD, Janie KYLE, Charlie KYLE, Honey WALKER and (elocution teacher) Miss MILLSAPS.
The photo of the Houston High School 1930-1931 class identifies the following: James KYLE, Wilson KIRBY, Frances BRAND, Crawford HIGHTOWER, Wilson MARION, John D. DYER, William MILLER, Floyd DAVIS, Wilbur HUDDLESTON, James McINTOSH, Mable DYER, Bill SCOTT, Mary Maude HILL, Joe FORD, Etna DAVIS, Herman FARNED, Susie HARRINGTON, Professor REID, Ola MARTIN, Colette MARTIN, Corrine WARE, William ARMSTRONG, Lizzie Kate MARION, Evelyn CARTY, Brooks HAYNES. Roselyn TABB, Wendell CARTY, Christine BRAND and Mrs. REID.
Submitted by Thelma Lyles Harrington
Around 1869 the Johnson Creek School was established and was located about nine
miles southwest of Houston on the old Houston/Atlanta Road. It was in ghe
James Edward DENDY and Alton NICHOLS community.
It was a one teacher, one room school, having seven grades; with seven students per grade.
The school was heated by a wood burning heater and firewood was furnished by the families of the students. At the rear of the room, there was a bench that held a bucket of water, with dipper and a pan where the children could wash their hands.
A blackboard was across the front of the room and the teacher had a desk and chair at the front. Several tall windows provided plenty of light.
Mrs. Thelma Lyles HARRINGTON taught school here in 1922-1923. At this time the DENDY and NICHOLS families had moved away and the following families had children in the school: HAMILTON, LANTRIP, FRANKLIN, MCQUARY, WILSON, and possibly other families.
At this time, there were only about 15-20 students. All students brought their lunch. At recess they played games when the weather was nice and a small dinner bell was rung signaling the end or recess and the return to class.
Some of the other teachers at Jones Creek School were: Montie BERRY, Lala STREETER, Fannie MILSAPS, Mable DUNDAN, Claud McCLUSKY, Mable DAVIS, Clara CRAWFORD, Glaldys WELLS and Sybil WELLS.
Submitted by Earl Huffman and from W. P. A. Records
King Hill School was established near the end of the Civil War and was located
about halfway between the communities of Woodland and Chewawa.
It was a small one room building. The students used long wooden benches, with no backs, to sit on.
Miss Ellen ARNETT was one of the early teachers. She was very versatile and taught the basic subjects plus Physical Education, Dramatics and Music.
Others who taught in the King Hill School were: Lillie ARMSTRONG, Elikah FLYNNe, Archie PARKER, Miss Lula WARD, Mr. R. L. CROSTHWAIT, W. L. CROSTWAIT, and Mrs. Ballie Hannah RAMSEY.
Submitted by Sarah A. Blissard Lowe
It is not known when the Martin School was established, but a deed executed on
Feb. 18, 1889 by J. J. NABORS to the school trustees for the school property
indicates that the school came into existence in 1889. At this time, school
trustees were: J. a. HANNA, J. J. NABORS, and W. W. GRIFFIN.
The average attendance was twenty-six students and the teachers were paid $30.00 per month.
After the original building burned in 1901, a new building was built near the original site. On Jan. 4, 1934 Walter BLISSARD and Ulmont BLISSARD sold the school a two acre site for $25.00 and a new building was built at this site. The new building had two rooms; each with a heater, a teacher's desk and desks for the students.
In Feb 1941, Martin School was consolidated with the Plasant Grove School; but patrons of Martin School were successful in voiding the consolidation by petition. On July 11, 1941, the Martin School was then consolidated with the Vardaman School District and students were transported to Vardaman School.
Families living in the area of Martin School, having children attend, were: ANDERSON, BLISSARD, ALFORD, COOK, DUNCAN, EVERETT, GORE, GRIFFIN, NABORS, HUDDLESTON, JOHNSON, KIRKPATRICK, LOWERY, MAHAN, MARTIN and WIMBERLEY.
Some of the teachers were: Anna B. SANDERSON, Jeva WINTERS, Leona BYARS, Arthur MARTIN, Joe BLISSARD, Evelyn FLEMING, Essie COCHRAN, Louise McCORD, Earl BLUE, Frances BLUE, Alene HICKS, unita NARON, Clytee EDMONSON, Darrell GRIFFIN, Auzzie LANGLEY and Thera BLISSARD.
A 1915-1916 Martin School photo identifies the following students: Lucas HIGGINBOTHAM, Roy EVANS, Lynn FERGUSON, Chester STROUP, Fred BARNETT, Roy CHOP, Jim MARTIN, Lonnie DUNCAN, Jack BARNETT, Cecil LOVELACE, Lathare ROEBUCK, Virdie GRIFFIN, Maylene NABORS, Corrine ANDERSON, Rosie GRIFFIN, Leola GRIFFIN, Emma GRIFFIN, Addie EVANS, Eunice ALFORD, Ida ALFORD, Claire HULSTON, Ann ANDERSON, Dorothy GRIFFIN, Grace GRIFFIN, Florence ANDERSON, Lucille WHITE, Oma STROUP, Pecolia DUNCAN, Claire Mae KELLUM, Smith EVANS, Auvern FERGUSON, Henry DUNCAN, Vannie GRIFFIN, Addie B. BARNETT, Emma DUNCAN, Lola EVANS, Evvie WHITE, Effie HIGGINBOTHAM, Kelly MOORE, Lorena NARON, Viola BARNETT, teacher Thera BLISSARD WHITE, Dewitt BLISSARD, Annie Mae HIGHTOWER, Jimmie KELLUM, Chess GRIFFIN, Vardaman MOORE, Jack EVANS, Boyd GRIFFIN, Guin FERGUSON, Howard KELLUM, Roy ANDERSON, Gaston DUNCAN, teacher Meredith HUFFMAN, Lillian HIGGINBOTHAM, Lula WHITE, Burren HIGGINBOTHAM, Lilly Bell GRIFFIN, Jessie MOORE, Wilburn NARON, Idell WHITE, and Gertie HIGGINBOTHAM.
Submitted by Emma Mae Houser Gann and Stansell Wofford
Macedonia School was founded in 1896 and were classes were first held in the
Macedonia Church that was built 1895. The first professor was Mr. MERRIT.
The first Macedonial School building was a two room, painted frame building, with large windows and wood heaters. There were desks for the students and table and chairs for the teachers. Water had to be carried to the school from nearby houses.
Mrs. Lizzie DeHAY was the teacher around 1898-1899. At one time, Emma Mae Houser taught primary grades and had about fifteen pupils. Mr. BRENTS was the principal and the next year, Mr. Flenoy SANDERSON became principal.
Some of the families who lived in the area surrounding Macedonia School were: Alec TRENER, Frank DOSS, William DOSS, Mrs. Susie HANNA, Columbus GRIFFIN, Will KILGORE, Mrs. Lea GANN, John HILL, Ivy GANN, Bill Gann, ASHCRAFT family, Andy FINN, Russell HILL, Lum PORTER, Lee DOSS and several others.
Submitted by Maxine Murphy
Before 1872, schools in the McCondy community were conducted in private homes
and the Old Providence Church, today known as McCondy Baptist Church, and Soul's
The first buildings built especially for schools were built in 1872. These buildings were located near the Chickasaw/Clay County line and at Soul's Chapel; erected by J. Harris SMITH.
The building at McCondy was used until 1890 when there was dissention over the election of teachers between the residents of Chickasaw and Clay Counties. At this time, Clay County residents built a building just over the county line and Chickasaw County residents built a building a mile or two north of McConday. The school in Chickasaw County was then named Burkett Institute.
Students from the McCondy, Trebloc and other nearby areas walked to school, some students having to walk several miles.
Among the first teachers were Professor E. H. WILLIAMS and Miss Annie HARRIS.
In 1922, the McCondy Community, made up of some Clay County and Chickasaw County citizens wanted a consolidated school. At this time, a four room brick building, with a large auditorium, was built on the Clay/Chickasaw County line. The school was one of the best rural schools in the state of MS boasting of four good teachers, a term of eight months and a good library.
Others teaching in the school were: James Beckett GLADNEY, Jack CAREY, J. C. MILLER, Elizabeth WESTBROOK, Zon LINN, Hattie PARKS, Mr. WRIGHT, Miss Udie MURFF, Miss Winnie DAVIS, Miss Annie GORDON, Miss Evie BRAND, Mr. and Mrs. Don McLEWREATH, W. S. CAMERON, Miss Ellie T. COLBERT, Miss CARRIE LEE HARRIS, Mabel WESSELS, Carolyn CLARK, Ina SELMAN, Susie BEAN, Frances HATHORN, Christine BRAND, Mrs. J. T. BRAND, Jr., Hazel WATSON, Dera CHRESTMAN, Lundena WEATHERBY, Grace GAITHER, Thomasine HOLMES, Bessie SPAIN, Lottie Ruth DOOLITTLE, Laverne HARWOOD, Arabell BARKERMYER and J. A. MURPHEE.
Some of the families with children attending schools at McCondy were: PEARSON, BRAND, LINN, COLBERT, DAVIS, NABORS, NICHOLS, CARADINES, GILREATHS, ALLEN, SMITH, GUINN and VALLIANT.
In 1949, the schools were consolidated with the Houston Schools.
Submitted by Mr. Clifton House and from W. P. A. Records
Around 1880 the Midway School was located at the Crawford LANCASTER place about
a mile northwest of Bethel Church. The building was a log house and the first
teacher was Mr. Joe PRICE.
After standing at this location for several years, the school was moved to the area now known as Sonora. The school was moved a second time near Prospect Church. At this time, new materials were added to the old and a new school building was built. For a number of years, this was a splendid school and had a large stage where school children would perform a concert every Friday.
The building was heated by a wood heater and parents brought wood to the school to use in the heater. Sometimes the boys went out into the woods and brought wood back.
In the years 1898 and 1899, the teachers were WINDHAM and HOLLIMAN.
Sometime around 1915-1916, the school was moved across the road from the Durell GANN house. Mr. PEARSON gave the school part of the land the new building was built on. The county furnished part of the materials for the school and the remainder was furnished by the patrons who were interested in the school. And, the patrons did all the work in constructing the new building. Around 1927, this school was consolidated with the Houston School.
Teachers at Midway School were: Mr. Jim WOOLDRIDGE, Mrs. Pearline HANNA CRAWFORD, and Mrs. Elzie PARKER GORDON. Also, Mrs. Clara HILL HARRINGTON taught in 1911; Mrs. Thelma LYLES HARRINGTON, 1925-1926; and Mrs. Fannie LOWRY, 1927-1928. This was the last year of Midway School.
Some of the families attending Midway School were: HARRINGTON, HOUSE, FORD and WILSON.
A photo of Midway School in 1911, when it was located near Prospect Church, identifies the following students: J. C. HOUSE, Aubrey HOUSE, Daniel HARRINGTON, Holly HARRINGTON, Roy HOUSE, Jo BOYD, Lottie DULANEY, Gladys BOYD, Aubrey BOYD, Otis BOYD, Clifton HOUSE, Jeff HOUSE, Elgie HOUSE, Victor DULANEY, Lois HARRINGTON, Lorena HOUSE, Ruby HOLLEMAN, Emma T. FORD, Walter Lee TRAMMELL, Corrie STOVALL, Jim FORD, I. B. STOVALL, Alonzo HOUSE, Annie LEE FORD, Julie SMITH, Edgar HOUSE, Eula MAE Wilson, Benton HOUSE, Leonard WILSON, Lizzie DAVIS, Ellie DILL, L. T. HARRINGTON, Lizzie FORD, Luther HARRINGTON, Teacher Clara Wilma HILL, Mack FORD, Mildred SMITH, Burkett BRAY and O'Dell HOUSE.
Submitted by Maralee Boydstun
No information is given on when this school was begun. It was located on the
north side of Hwy. 32 on the Chickasaw/Calhoun County line. The school was on
Malty MILLER's land and was eventually consolidated with Houlka
Claude BURGESS was one of the students attending school in this one room school house in 1914. The teacher was Ella MOORE. Other teachers remembered by Mr. BURGESS are Jettie STEEL and Lois BAILEY.
Eventually, the school was moved approximately one mile east and was known as Punkin Center.
Mississippi Normal College:
Submitted by Betty S. Atkinson
The Mississippi Normal College is one of the most significant historical facts
about Chickasaw Co. Schools known as "Normal Schools" included a two year
advanced program and this program was usually designed to train
Mississippi Normal College was founded by Professor Howea B. ABERNETHY and his wife, Sally GARRETT ABERNETHY, at Houston in 1888. In 1884, the ABERNETHYs organized the Mississippi Normal High School at Troy, Pontotoc Co, MS. Among the Houston citizens who were instrumental in securing the services of the ABERNETHYs were: Judge W. S. BATES, Will WHITE, T. W. SCOTT, Dr. J. S. EVANS, W. R. DAVIS, Dr. W. L. WALKER, P. W. SHELL and H. L. McALISTER.
Located on the property, now occupied by the Houston Elementary School, stood two large two-story frame buildings. These two buildings were used to house the grade pupils and provide classrooms for college students. There was also an auditorium with a seating capacity of one thousand.
During the day, large windows provided enough light for classes to be conducted and kerosene lamps furnished the light for night entertainment.
The girls were housed in a large two-story dormitory and the boys boarded in private homes.
The curriculum included Teacher's course, Scientific Junior, Scientific Senior and Classic. "Diplomas are conferred, not sold. Good moral character is required to graduate, and a degree will not be given to anyone who is known to drink during the year."
Other than paying tuition with cash, which was not easy to do in those early days; it could be paid with livestock, produce, wood, eggs and milk. Board, including lights, washing, fuel and a furnished room was $8.50 per month.
Other school costs for the students included the following: Teacher's Dept. tuition, $3.00; Junior Scientific Year tuition, $3.00; and Senior Scientific Year tuition, $4.00.
The maximum salary for teachers was $45.00 per month.
Although the girls were required to wear uniforms, the boys could wear what they wished. Students were required to attend Sunday School at a church of their choice; but a faculty member affiliated with that church accompanied the students.
Seniors gave a program every ten weeks called a "Reunion"; and people from all around would gather in the auditorium for these programs.
Commencement time was very special for all the students enrolled in the school. Students would gather together for dorm parties and during this time; many boy/girl friendships began that later developed into happy marriages.
Mr. and Mrs. ABERNATHY left Houston in June 1901 to teach school in Paris, TX. After they left Houston, the school was presided over by W. T. FOSTER in 1901-1902; J. M. YOUNG, 1902-1903; and E. L. COLLINS in 1903-1906. Between 1906-1926, Houston High School served the community under the leadership of Mr. L. B. REID from Tyler, TX.
Some of the outstanding graduates and their occupations from MS Normal College are: J. R. COUNTIES, President of Grenada College; T. R. PADEN, minister; C. J. LONGEST, educator; Robert TANNER, educator; C. L. CROSTHWAIT, educator; M. P. BUSH, educator; J. A. WADDINGTON, M. D.; Judge J. W. PACK, jurist; Tom ABERNETHY, business; Walter SCOTT, business; Duggan SHELL, business; and Burgie SCOTT, business.
Betty S. ATKINSON, submitter of this story on MS. Normal College, states that the school is of special interest to her because her grandfather, Walter Enochs SCOTT, Sr.; her grandmother, May Hill SCOTT and her great-uncle Burgie SCOTT were all graduates of the college. Her grandfather, Walter Enochs SCOTT, Sr., gave the speech at the commencement exercises on June 7, 1892. The title of his speech was "The History of Houston".
There are two photos of Mississippi Normal College in the book "History of Chickasaw Co., Vol I". One is of the Sophomore class and teachers of 1902-1903 and identify the following students and teachers: Prof. Granville A. YOUNG, Mrs. Young, their small child Virginia YOUNG, Alan YOUNG, Prof. GUNTER, Orion TABB, Annie ATKINSON, Corinne MEDLIN and Avery TABB.
The other photo is of the 1904 Mississippi Normal College group and only the teachers are identified. They are Ernest Lee COLLINS and Huburt M. COLLINS.
New Salem School:
Submitted by Mrs. Erma Davis and Miss Mable Calvin and from W. P. A. Records
New Salem School was located on Hwy. 8, four miles east of Houston. It was
sometimes called the Parker School.
In 1874, Elliott PARKER started school at New Salem School. In the early years of the school, students had to pay to go to the school.
The school was housed in a frame building, with a few desks and some benches. One wall was painted black and used as the blackboard.
In 1898-1899, Annie MARABLE was the teacher. Others who taught school at New Salem School were: Tom HAMILTON, M. K. THORNTON, Mary BOYD PADEN, Mrs. Lizzie DeHAY, Mrs. John CARRUTHERS and Miss Fannie SMITH. Also teaching school at New Salem were Miss Inez DAVIS and Miss Mable CALVIN.
Because of unfriendly feelings between the NORTON and PARKER families, Elliott PARKER and a few other students were taught by Miss Fannie SMITH in her home.
Some of the known students attending New Salem School are: Lee DAVIS, Mary and Alice DAVIS, the JOHNS children and Delia NEEL.
Around 1908, the school was moved about a mile south of its location where it would be in a more central location of the school district.
Norman Public School
Submitted by Nell Peden Norman
Norman Public School was located about four miles south of Houlka, MS. in the
Thelma community. The school was a typical one room country school and had
classes one through eight.
There was the "traditional" pot bellied wood burning stove used to heat the school and the water bucket and dipper served as drinking facilities.
Facts of the earliest days of the school are sketchy as few facts are on record. One known fact is that Rev. Jesse Franklin NORMAN settled in this area in 1879. Three of Rev. NORMAN's sons remained in this area; marrying, building homes and rearing families.
It is unclear when the school was actually built; but it was in existence in the 1890s and could have possibly been built in the early 1880s.
One of the first teachers was Mrs. Dorthulia REESE and she roomed in the home of the James NORMAN family. Another teacher, Miss Effie Mae REID lived in the home Tom CARTER home.
Records of early teachers are incomplete in the Office of Superintendent of Education. One teacher, "Miss Estelle" returned to teach and was teaching at the school when the schools were consolidaed after the 1931-1932 school term.
Oak Grove and Sparta Schools
Submitted by Gladys Brogan
There were two schools that served the educational needs in the Sparta area. The
first and longest lasting school was Oak Grove, built in the 1850's. The school
was built on a hill in a grove of oak trees one mile east of Sparta.
The building was a large square building and was divided into two rooms. The students called them the span room and the little room. Across the south end of the span room was a stage. A blackboard stretched from one side to the other in the little room.
As with almost all the schools of this area, the rooms were heated by large wood heaters. Desks and benches were hand made. Though the school at one time had a pump; students remember carrying water in buckets from a spring at the bottom of the hill. Instead of the traditional dipper for drinking, each student had his or her own drinking cup.
Until about 1921, Oak Grove was the only school in the Sparta area and some of the students had to walk several miles to school. Some of the parents split logs and put them across ditches and creeks so the students could walk through the woods and have a shorter distance to walk. At one time, some of the male students were known to board with Mrs. LANHAM who lived near the school.
Some of the teachers at Oak Grove were: Professor WILKERSON, Mrs. Frank MONTGOMERY, Mrs. May LANHAM, B. B. LANHAM, Mr. Tom GOODWIN, Miss Jessie WOFFORD, Mrs. Effie WOFFORD, Mrs. Jimmy RUSHING, Miss Betty M. HENLEY, Miss Lera K. WRIGHT, Mrs. Evelyn TERRY, Miss Mabel FLARITY, Miss Estell BODY, Mrs. Viola Moore AYCOCK, Miss Mattie KYLE, Frances FINCH, Miss Eudie MURFF, Miss Nina AUTREY, Jeanett COCKRELL, Beatrice VERELL, John DAVIS, Miss BROWN and Birdie MOORE.
Sometime around 1921, the Sparta community split from Oak Grove and a new school was formed. The first school term was held in the Amity Baptist Church.
The second school term was housed in an old store building owned by Mr. Will KILGORE. By the beginning of the third school term, the parents had completed a one room school building located near the Sparta Methodist Church located across the road from the Amity Baptist Church.
After four school terms in the new building, the Sparta school was consolidated with Woodland. Oak Grove School would be consolidated about five years later.
Some of the teachers at Sparta School were: Annie GORDON, Velma HARDEN, Betty May NEEL, Jewel White ALFORD and Ioda VERELL.
Old Houlka Oak Grove School
Submitted by Margaret Norman
The Oak Grove School was located on the north side of what is now known as
Highway 32 between Old Houlka and the LeeRoy ANDREWS place. The school was
organized in 1900 and was in existence until 1922.
Children from many families in the surrounding area attended the school and classes were taught for grades one through seven.
Members of the Presbyterian Church realized the importance of educating the children of the area and gave their building for the school. Members of the Presbyterian Church built a new church near where the railroad passed through area.
When the trains began going through this part of the county, many of the businesses and churches moved to the new "town", leaving only onr or two stores and the Oak Grove Grammar School at Old Houlka.
Oak Grove School continued school terms until 1921-1922 when the new high school was organized and built. The new school included the grammar school classes and the high school classes. At this time, Oak Grove School was closed.
Some of the teachers were: Mrs. Mary PEDEN, Miss Inez ABERNATHY, Mrs. Estelle PEDEN and Mrs. Alma Floyd McCULLOUGH.
A photo in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" of the Old Houlka Oak Grove School about 1905 has the following professors and teachers identified: Professors GLADNEY, FITZPATRICK, SMITH, later professors POWELL, EUBANKS, BEARD, KELLY, BOB THOMPSON, ARNEMTROUT, SANDERSON, HILLER, Dan JOHNSON and Rice WILLIAMS; teachers identified are: Misses Hattie McJUNKIN, Sallie HODGES, Mrs. E. A. SMITH, Mrs. Maggie Davis CARTER, Lily WHITE, Annie HARRIS, Callie Sue HOBSON, Estell WALDROP, Blanche HODGES, Hattie HANEY, RANDELL, FANNING, Daisy LESTER, Maida DeLASHMET, and Hattie CARTER.
Okolona Industrial School
Submitted by Hal Jolly and W. P. A. Records
Dr. Wallace A. BATTLE, a native of AL and graduate of Berea College in KY
founded the Okolona Industrial School in 1902. The policy of the school was
formulated to benefit the masses of the Negro race.
During the life of the school, also known as a plant, many students paid their expenses by working on the farm and in other departments of the school.
There were three fires at the school; but the school family, friends and trustees prevailed and the school emerged from these disasters stronger than ever.
The plant consists of the 380 acres and the following buildings: Angier Hall, a dormitory built in 1920; Rosenwald Hall, classrooms built in 1930; McDougall Hall, classrooms and offices built in 1932; the president's home and six teacher's homes; the farm unit which consists of a barn, shop and potato house built in 1933; Academic Building; and classrooms and offices built in 1935.
One of the features of the school was the training offered in trades such as plumbing, wiring, plastering, brick masonry and carpentry. Almost all the buildings on the campus were erected by the students. Also, during the summer months a work force of students constructed a brick building at Gailor Industrial School in Mason, TN.
Graduates of the school usually return to their home towns and become successful as teachers, ministers or in their choice of trade.
Young women attending the school were trained as nurses, dieticians and housekeepers.
Departments at the school are: Junior College for training teachers; a regular high school course; Agricultural Department; Building trades for boys; Home Science Department for girls; and Vocal and Instrumental music.
After 65 years of educational services, the school closed its doors in 1965.
Submitted by Hal Jolly
The town of Okolona was incorporated in 1848 and one of the first schools was the Rose Gates College. In 1862, the Confederate Army used the school as a hospital.
In 1888, the city council established and built a new high school on Main Street. The present day elementary now occupies this location. In 1924, the old building was torn down and a new building that still stands was built.
There were some rural schools around Okolona. Among them were: Chalk Bluff, Union School, Marion School, New Hope School, Prairie Mt. and Paradise Valley.
Some of the teachers in the rural schools were: Mrs. Mary GARNER CORLEY, Miss Mary GARNER and Miss Bessie JOLLY taught at Union School, Chalk Bluff and Beuna Vista; Mr. Owen SCOTT and Mrs. Mattie HENDERSON taught at Paradise Valley; Miss Pearl FARRIS taught at Prairie Mt.; Miss Jewell McKINNON, Miss Mattie IVY, Miss Mary GARNER and Mr. Ollie CONNER were teachers at Chalk Bluff; Mary Staten HARRIS is remembered as a teacher at the New Hope School.
Black rural schools were usually held in the churches of each community and many of the black teachers still live in the Okolona area. Among the black teachers in the rural school were: George WHEELER, Ambrose KIRK and Mrs. Jessie WILSON.
Old Houlka Normal Boarding School
Submitted by Margaret Norman
The Boarding School was located at Old Houlka between Highways 15 and 32 and Mrs. Sally NORMAN's place. Subjects taught at the school were similiar to what is taught in modern day Junior High schools.
Between 1885 and 1895, Professor SMITH and his wife were one of the teachers and counselors at the school. Remembered as being in charge of the girls and boys dormitories were Mr. Joseph Smith WALDROP and his wife Mildred PHILLIPS WALDROP. Their daughter, Mrs. Estelle WALDROP PEDEN also taught school at Old Houlka Oak Grove School.
Dr. Rice WILLIAMS was also a teacher at the Boarding School for several years.
Some of the students that attended Old Houlka Normal Boarding School were: Maggie HOBSON, Eddith CARTER, Carolina BROWN, Allie BASKIN, Mr. Zura BLAKE, Husie KIRBY, Sallie BROWN, and Sally ASTON.
A photo featured in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" identifies the following students: Annie HARIS, Allie BASKIN, Anna HARILL, Carolina HOBSON, Sallie HOBSON, Callie Sue HOBSON, Mollie MARION, Ella HOBSON, Carolina BROWN, Icie Lena PEDEN, Ara HALSELL, Cooper SAVEly, Milton FLEMING, Rich McKNIGHT, John LONGEST and John A. HARRIS.
Old Salem School
Submitted by Mrs. Erma Davis
There is very little information on the Old Salem School which was located about
six miles east of Houston near the Old Salem Baptist Church.
It is known that Addie WINDHAM taught here in 1898-1899 and Lula Mae PORTER was a teacher between 1915 and 1920.
Because there were no longer enough children living in the district for a school, it was closed in 1920.
There is a photo of an Old Salem School class that was taken between 1915 and 1920, but the only person identified is the teacher Lula Mae PORTER.
Submitted by Paul E. Neal
Parkersburg School was located in the community of Parkersburg about six miles east of Houston on the M&O Railroad. The communtiy consisted of a church, school, store, cotton gin and the railroad depot.
Some known teachers at the school were: Maggie WARD, Janet DENDY CHENAULT, Opal MARION BAKER, and Ruby NEAL HARRINGTON.
Among the students attending the school were: D. L. NEAL, Jr., Cameron M. NEAL, Paul E. NEAL, Perry C. NEAL, Allie RAY, Bettie Lou RAY, Pauline RAY, Kimball BEATY, Beatrice RAY, Jewel RAY, J. T. RAY, Attie CHENAULT and Otha FOSTER.
The school was disbanded in the early 1920's and the students transferred to Houston High School. There was no school bus route from Parkersburg to Houston and arrangements were made with the railroad for reduced fares for students and they rode the train to and from Houston so that they could complete their education.
Submitted by Iola Houser Verell and W. P. A. Records
The first Pearsall School was established sometime before 1862 and was located
six miles southeast of Houston. Louis PEARSALL donated the lot for the school
and it was constructed by Henry and George MEDLIN.
It was a typical small country school, heted by a wood burning stove, with the parents taking turns bringing the firewood. Furnishings were sparse and other than the stove consisted of eight double desks and some benches.
The school term was for two months in the summer and two months in the winter. Among the teachers were: Columbus EVANS, Capt. STRIBBLING, Mr. MIDDLETON, Mrs. CARATHERS, Dr. Sid EVANS, Dr. Gus EVANS, Lillie RILEY, and Mrs. Lizzie DEHAY.
Some of the early students were: Mollie BOYD, Tom MARTIN, Jack PORTER, Jim PUMPHREY, Jack HARRRINGTON, Bill SMITH and the HOUSER children.
Some time around 1912, the school was divided into two schools with one located at Bethel and the other one moving into the Verrell community. Later it was moved more to the center of the community near the GORDON place and employed two teachers.
For many years, was the only teacher. Some teachers at the school were: Mrs. Pallie HOLLINGSWORTH, Mr. Eugene PORTER, Mrs. Iota HOUSER VERELL, Nina AUTRY, Mr. Bob SHELTON, Miss Mary AUSTIN and Orene HASSELL.
In 1933, the Pearsall School was consolidated with Woodland.
A photo taken approximately 1927 is featured in the "History of Chickasaw Co, Vol I" and identifies the following students: Travis NOLAN, Alvin NOLAN, Gladys NOLAN, Ruby Lee VERELL, Meda WILSON, Ireda WILSON, Orene DOSS, Margaret GORDON, Bennie Mae O'BARR, d. F. WILSON, Milton SHELTON, Ralph WOODRUFF, Leonard GANN, Durell GANN, T. J. MARTIN, Emmitt HOUSER, Juddy O'BARR, Lessie WILSON, Bernice VERELL, Ona HOUSER, Velma WOODRUFF, Gladys GORDON, Allene DOSS, Vida O'BARR, Doris WOODRUFF, Beatrice VERELL, Robert HENDERSON, Irma WOODRUFF, Earnest PUMPHREY, Mr. Bob SHELTON, Christine GORDON, Lucille WOODRUFF, Carl GORDON, Mrs. Mary AUSTIN, Boyd CRIDDLE, Elkin WOODRUFF, Lula HOLLEMAN, Lesbia WILSON, Mildred WOODRUFF and Mable O'BARR.
Pleasant Grove School
Submitted by Sarah A. Blissard Lowe
Earliest records for Pleasant Grove School begin for the school year 1897-1898.
It is unknown just when the school was organized. It was located about eight
miles west of Houston at Thorn.
W. S. and J. F. LOVELACE deeded one acre of land for the school on Jan 12, 1907. Trustees of the school were: W. A. MOORE, W. M. HUGGMAN and W. T. WOOLDRIDGE.
When the school was organized, there was only one teacher. The teacher for the school term of 1897-1898 was Effie HILL. The school term lasted for four and one half months. In 1897-1898, trustees were J. M. FOSTER, J. A. WOOLDRIDGE and S. J. NABORS. The next teacher was R. B. WALDROPE.
By 1901-1902, the number of students had grown enough that there were three teachers. For a brief period, there were enough students to employ four teachers; but for the most part, only three teachers were employed.
Around 1930, Rex MARTIN (who was a teacher) and Edgar FLEMING built a new school building. This building was a three room frame structure, with adequate windows and heaters.
The classroom furniture consisted of desks for the students and a desk and chair for the teacher. In 1954, it was consolidated with the Houston School District.
Some teachers at the school were: Luke J. HENR< Jewel ALFORD, Oscar PULLEN, Essie COCHRAN, Joe BLISSARD, Oma BURNS BLISSARD, Jeva WINTERS, Zelda DYE, Tressie POWELL, Tressie BERRY, Etta CLARK, Porter MADDOX, R. T. HOLLINGSWORTH, W. L. NORMAN, O. L. CHANDLER and Lee WADE.
Surnames of some of the students attending the school were: ALFORD, ANDERSON, BARNETT, BLISSARD, CLARK, DOSS, FOSTER, GRIFFIN, HIGGINBOTHAM, HUFFMAN, LANGLEY, LOVELACE, MOONEYHAM, MOORE, NABORS, McGEE and WOOLDRIDGE.
Pleasant Grove School (African American)
Submitted by Mrs. Doretta Boston
The first African American school was the Pleasant Grove School, located in
Buena Vista. It was housed in a log church building.
The first teacher was Mrs. Wash McNARY; second teacher was Mrs. Bell PULLIAM and Mr. Sam KING was the superintendent.
The second African American school to be built in Buena Vista was constructed of planks. The teacher was Mrs. Sarah BAFFORD.
A third African American school for Buena Vista was the Rosen Wall School, with Mr. E. JOHNSON employed as teacher.
The first licensed African American teacher to teach school in Chickasaw Co was Mr. Andrew BASKIN, a native of Buena Vista.
Pleasant Plains School
Submitted by Mrs. Lounette Collins
Founded in the early 1900's, Pleasant Plains School was located southwest of Trebloc.
Teachers at the school were: Mrs. Essie Randle PULLIAM, Mrs. Mattie HOPKINS, James A. FEDDERSON, Frank PERRY, Jr., Mrs. Willie Lee WILLIAMS, Mrs. Margie NAUGLE WATKINS, Mrs. Juanita PULLIAM CUMMINGS, Mrs Brady HOLLIDAY HOLLINGSHED, Jeddie BAILEY, Mrs. Lucy Mae TOWNSEND RALEIGH, Mrs. Lounette COLLINS, and Charles Henry RANDLE.
Return to Chickasaw Co Index
All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries, genealogical societies, and other researchers. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owner.
If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.