Cities, Towns and Villages

Populated places in Bolivar County according to the GNIS records.

The first name is the name of the populated area; the second name is the name of the nearest town.

Links include community profile, maps, and other pertinent information.

                              Alligator, Duncan                 Bolivar Commercial story on Alligator, MS
Benoit, Benoit
Beulah, Beulah
Bolivar, Benoit
Boyle, Cleveland
Busey, Shaw
Choctaw, Shaw
Christmas, Beulah
Cleveland, Cleveland
Concordia, Gunnison
Dahomey, Lobdell
Deeson, Round Lake
Dennis Landing, Laconia
Dixie, Round Lake
Duncan, Duncan
Eldridge, Round Lake
Eutaw, Catfish Point
Francis, Round Lake
Gill, Beulah
Grapeland, Stringtown
Gunnison, Gunnison
Hannah, Benoit
Hushpuckena, Round Lake
Kimball Lake, Pace
Lake Vista, Scott
Laughlin, Skene
Litton, Skene
Lobdell, Lobdell
Longshot, Lobdell
Malvina, Beulah  
Meltonia, Stringtown
Merigold, Merigold
Mound Bayou, Mound Bayou
Mound City, Beulah  
Niles, Beulah
O'Reilly, Cleveland
Pace, Pace
Perthshire, Gunnison  
Renova, Merigold  
Rochdale, Round Lake
Rosedale, Rosedale
Round Lake, Round Lake
Scott, Scott
Shaw, Shaw
Shelby, Shelby
Skene, Skene
Stringtown, Stringtown
Symonds, Beulah
Victor, Pace
Waxhaw, Gunnison
Winstonville, Shelby
Wright, Gunnison
Zumbro, Cleveland

"Out of the Way" Places
Bolivar County

Australia Landing
Bolivar Landing
Catfish Point Landing
Cessions Landing
Cleveland Crossing
Eutaw Landing
Home Landing
Mason Landing
Mound Landing
Niblett Landing
Riverton Landing
Terrene Landing
Turners Flat

Extinct Towns in Bolivar County


Established in 1904 seven miles north of Shaw, this town was named for the Gayoso Lumber Company.

About 1906 the Columbia Stone Mill was located here and was moved in 1919.

Gayoso was abandoned.

(C) Copyright 1998 by K. Stupp



Established as a flag stop on the Y & M Railroad, Byng was located seven miles south of Rosedale. It was
named for Field Marshall Byng, a commander of the British 6th Army in WWI.

The flag stop was discontinued in the 1930's

(C) Copyright 1998 by K. Stupp


Belle Isle

Indian Point


Catfish Point

Ten Miles Northwest of Scott was once the town of Catfish Point, being named for the abundance of catfish in the surrounding waters. This land was patented by the Governor to David and Joseph Yarbrough in 1832.

In 1890 a break in the levee made it necessary to build a new levee which did away with this small town.

(C) Copyright 1998 by K. Stupp

Old Prentiss

"The Town that died three times"

Old Prentiss in Mississippi was born, was burned, and was reburied by the river after a lapse of 90 years. After a town dies twice, you would expect it to give up the ghost forever.  Not so with Old Prentiss, as she is called today after a third interment.

Prentiss was a rip-roaring river port that supported gambling houses and saloons on the banks of the Mississippi River near where the small town of Rosedale, Mississippi, is located today on State 1.  Its official records begin just after 1800. A few river families established this tiny town on the banks of the Mississippi across from where the Arkansas River empties into the bigger stream.

After the War of 1812, there were more settlers, mostly men who had started home from New Orleans and decided to stop here.  In the next few years others joined the early residents. They were somewhat hemmed in as there were no roads to the east, into the vast and fertile lands of what is now known as the Mississippi Delta. All the land they occupied was along the shore and inward no more than a mile.  They were surrounded by a jungle of hardwood trees and heavy vegetation.

By 1838 it was necessary to spread out, and Judge Joseph McGuire was given a contract to cut a road.  His orders were to "blaze it well--3 feet wide."  About this same time a house was purchased for $500 on a $300 lot and it became a courthouse. Two years later citizens wanted to build a new courthouse and set aside $595 for the job.

Controversy started at this point when some wanted the new building erected on a point of land north of town, accessible only by water. They feuded with the old-timers who wanted it in the center of town.  While the controversy raged, fixtures and records were put on a boat and floated up and down the river while the city fathers made up their minds. Finally the decision was made and the town site won. The structure went up. Prentiss thrived, though there were some rowdy times in those years up to 1863.

It was then that Union soldiers, under General Sherman, floated by Prentiss and decided to burn it, turning in a fairly complete job in one of the general's earliest scorched earth maneuvers.

Rebuilding started after the soldiers floated on downstream, and the town was on the map again by 1865. It was then that Old Man River took action against the town. He sent his waters into new channels, chewed away at the banks, and sliced out a huge chunk of land. Most of Prentiss--including the courthouse--went under. The settlers, who had fled to higher ground and watched their homes sink into the murky depths, gave up and left.

Prentiss was no more.

No more, that is, until 1954. Then, after almost 90 years of being under water, being battered by floating logs, and partially covered by sand, Prentiss came back.  Waters of the river went to new lows and out there offshore was Old Prentiss, it's streets nearly dry. The courthouse looked quite stately and there were other buildings that had survived in surprisingly good shape.

Treasure seekers walked the streets and Old Prentiss was alive again. It was a short-lived reincarnation, though for the Mississippi found new supplies and roared back to higher levels.  Once more the town was buried probably forever.

There is nothing left today of the old town except one small cemetery plot with three toppled tombstones. The only readable marker indicates that James Hibbard, a native of England, had died there in 1855, at the age of 55. He had missed all the fun.

Southern Living Magazine--1969



Situated on the Mississippi River opposite the mouth of the White River, Terrene became a town of great importance.

In 1850 Elias Porter Reese bought a tract of land which extended three miles North of Rosedale and named his plantation Terrene Place. He built a home and a boat landing known as Terrene Landing.

In 1878 this small establishment was hit by yellow fever epidemic in which many lives were lost.

In 1889 Terrene was lost to the river.

(C) Copyright 1998 by K.Stupp

Christmas Crossing

Chrismas Crossing was established 10 miles south of Rosedale in 1885. It was named by the Y & MV Railroad because the plantation was owned by Judge Christmas. The place was never anymore than a plantation Headquarters.

(C) Copyright 1998 by K.Stupp