Daily Corinthian in 1973)
historical stop for the Crossroads Bus Tour during Jubilee ’73 will be the
Fillmore Street United Presbyterian Church, built in 1871.
secular and sacred organ music will be presented at the church, 711 Fillmore
Street, May 4th and 5th by local organists from
various Corinth churches, and at 4 p.m. on May 4th, the church
will host a "Laurel and Hardy" silent film made in the 1920’s with Bill
Oberg playing the background music on the theatre organ.
of the congregation which built the oldest remaining church building in
Corinth began in 1857, when a brush arbor revival was held on East Waldron
Street. A Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized from this gathering.
later, in 1860, the first Presbyterian building was constructed. It was a
two-story building where the old Cruise Street School (now being torn down)
was hardly finished when it was taken over and used as a Civil War arsenal
In 1865, the
congregation returned to claim their church building, which was in very poor
condition, and due to the scattering of the congregation the church had to
In 1870, the
Presbyterian congregation and the city school occupied the building, and in
1871, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church sold this building on Cruise Street
to F.A. Bealey, County Superintendent of Education.
When it was
remodeled for a school building, under the floor boards were found live
explosives from the Civil War. For five years the congregation had been
praying over live explosives.
In 1871, the
congregation moved to the Borroum Building, and in March, the
Presbyterians bought the present lot on Fillmore Street for $300. Prices for
construction were; brickwork-$1,730.80; carpenters-$1,350.00; and tin at
$11.50 per square.
On March 10,
1872, the congregation moved into the Fillmore Street building and the Rev.
Gillenwater was requested to preach.
the single steeple on the front of the church showed signs of weakness and
it was decided to remove it and to erect the present vestibule with the two
towners. At this time the windows were changed from round to pointed.
work in 1908, the floor was made sloping, the arches were put at the front,
and the first pipe organ installed. In 1922, the education building was
the church was changed from Cumberland Presbyterian to Presbyterian U.S.A.,
and then, around 10 to 15 years ago, the church became the United
change was made in 1963 when Bill McPeters extensively redecorated
the inside of the church and the educational building. For example, the gold
organ pipes were painted black and the green oak paneling behind the organ
and the surrounding oak walls were painted white.