Community of Cuba
(Source: Alcorn County History, Volume I, written by Elba
The Cuba post office was established February 19, 1891. The post
office was located three or four hundred yards north of where the
Tuscumbia Baptist Church stands now. The church was organized in
1856, and is located in Northwest Alcorn County near the Tennessee
line. The Nichols family donated the land to build the church.
Abram Berry Nichols was one of the first postmasters, and he served
several years. Due to ailing health, Abram Nichols had to quit. His
only son, Mattie Bruce Nichols, became postmaster and worked until
about 1926 or 1928.
The mail was transported by horse and buggy from Chewalla,
Tennessee, the nearest depot, to Cuba.
The Nichols family owned a 640 acre farm and along with the post
office, Bruce Nichols and wife, Myrtle Burns Nichols, owned and
operated a grocery story in the same building.
The family had a grist mill for people to make meal from their corn.
Most of the time they had a certain day to grind the meal; and
people from all around would “go to mill“. A “toll” of corn paid for
the grinding. These were the terms used then.
Another interesting thing was the sorghum mill. The mules were
hooked to a pole that went around to squeeze the juice from the
sorghum cane. The juice was then cooked off in a molasses pan until
thickened. People would haul their can and have it made up, and they
stored their molasses in wooden barrels. The molasses making was
always fun for young folks because the mill was a gathering place.
Every once in a while the molasses would go to sugar. People would
take the head out of the barrel, scoop up the sugar crystals, add
water and boil. By doing this they made fresh ‘lasses.
Also located on the Nichols farm was a cotton gin. It was in
operation for many years. The young people were never allowed around
it because an open well was used in operating the machinery.
Tuscumbia School was located on this farm. First through eighth
grade were offered.
The school burnt about 1924. Because money was very scarce, the
building was not replaced; and classes were held in the church
Students did not have transportation to school. They all walked.
The school continued to be held in the church until about 1939, when
it consolidated with Gift.
This farm is still owned (in 1985 when this was written) by members
of the Nichols family.