Misc. Newspaper Clippings 1926

Corinthian, Wednesday, September 29, 1926, Contributed by Chester Harrison


There was a marriage at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Babb near Kendrick Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock that will have a county wide interest on account of the popularity of the bride. Their daughter Miss Mary Julia was given in marriage to Joseph Horace Spear of Corinth there being only a few relatives and friends present.

The yellow and green decorations added to the beauty of the attractive home for this occasion, and the impressive ceremony was pronounced by the Rev. Dan. W. Babb, a minister in active work for more than a half century, and an uncle of the bride.

Immediately following the marriage Mr. and Mrs. Spear came to Corinth where they boarded the west bound train for a short wedding trip, after which they will be at home in Corinth.

The bride is a member of one of the most prominent families in the county, and is a young woman of personal charm and accomplishments. She has been a teacher in the county at different times and places and her work has always been of a high type, so much so that her services have been in demand. Cultured, capable and amiable she has a host of friends in every section of the county who will be interested in her marriage.

The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Spear and a member of the Spear Motor Company. He is a young business man of the city held in high esteem for his sterling qualities.


Hoot Gibson with Virginia Browne in CHIP OF THE FLYING U and BUSTER BROWN.


There was a good number went to Memphis this morning on the early train to attend the tri-state fair. The total, however, is far below that of last year. On special day last year there were 284 tickets sold. This year there were less than 200 sold on that date.

The weather has been a bit unfavorable though the past few days no objection could be filed unless it was to the effect that mercury went too high. And even at that it has not been so warm as last year.


Cotton continues to come in rapidly and also continues to remain at a very low figure. Tuesday afternoon it dropped below 13 cents the pound.

One man brought two bales on one wagon this week but they graded a cent a pound difference because of the difference in the gathering. One was clean and white and the other was trashy and dirty. The difference of $5 the bale would pay for at least a little care in handling.


Splendid Suits…$15 to $50

Latest Classy Hats…$5 to $8

Caps…$1 to $3.50

Famous Florsheim Shoes…$10


In the city today are F.M. Black and Frank Guyton of Memphis, completing the arrangements started here a few days ago looking to the establishment of a regular mule barn here for the winter and as a permanency.

There have rented the Striplin barn and the Liddon barn on Wick street and have had workmen busy tearing out the stalls and converting the interior into pens for the handling of mules in groups. This work is now about complete and the firm now has about sixty mules on hand. Two or three car loads will arrive during the next few days and the total number on hand will be approximately one hundred.

This number is to be maintained regularly, being replenished from time to time from the various mule markets of the country, as the supply on hand is depleted by local sales.

A capitol of $25,000 will be used in the maintenance of these barns and the business to be transacted. This is to be an assembling point from the outside markets, and a distributing point to the farmers of this section, extending into the Tennessee river territory.

Frank Black is well known to the farmers here as a mule dealer and his home is at Savannah. For a number of years he has been engaged in selling mules thru this territory, and he is well known to the farmers of North Mississippi and several counties in Middle and West Tennessee, Mr. Guyton, the man with whom Mr. Black is interested in the business, is one of the most extensive mule dealers in the United States and is a member of the firm of Guyton & Harrington at Memphis, His firm handled mules for the government during the world war.


Some of the leading churchmen of America will be in attendance at the State Convention of the Christian churches of Mississippi at the Waldron St. Christian church next week.

The address Tuesday night will be delivered by Dr. F.K. Dunn of Greenwood. Dr. Dunn has led the congregation at Greenwood in erecting a magnificent church building costing approximately $85,000. He spends the summer months on the Redpath Chautauqua circuit and is in great demand for special addresses.

Dr. Dunn is Convention President and his address Tuesday night will be worth hearing.

FIRST NATIONAL BANK-Safe Deposit Boxes $3 a year.


Comedy at Coliseum today.

Look at your clothes-then call 182-R. Haynes Brothers.

Baxter Taylor and sister Miss Laura are in Memphis attending the fair.

Ladies and Gents cleaning, repairing and alterations. City Dry Cleaners.

Clay McClamroch was a business visitor to Jackson, Tennessee, Tuesday.

You need your clothes cleaned-and we need the business-Haynes Brothers.

R.E. Freeman of Trenton, Tennessee is a guest in the home of Mrs. J.R. Redding on Jackson Street.

H.S. Johnson, the district club man was here today on business with county agent W.T. McKell.

Misses Jessie Ragan and Ethel Hanley and mother Mrs. Hanley are spending today in Memphis attending the fair.

Mr. and Mrs. L.A. Parker of Saltillo, Tennessee were visitors in Corinth today, in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Morrison on Taylor Street.

Mrs. Fannie Bratcher who has been visiting in the county and at other nearby places the past several weeks, left Tuesday for her home at Benton, Ark.

Mrs. W.C. Stevenson has returned to her home at Moorehead after a visit here with her parents Dr. and Mrs. W.A. Johns, and other relatives in Hickman, Kentucky.

Congressman John Rankin was in the city Tuesday afternoon for a business conference with cotton merchants. He came up from his home at Tupelo for the meeting.

Mr. and Mrs. Dan Rambo of Marietta, Okla., after a visit in the home of Mr. and Mrs. C.T. Ijams, and with other friends in the city, have returned to their home.

The 18-month old child of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Arnold died at their family residence west of Kossuth Tuesday afternoon. The burial will take place today at Lone Oak cemetery.

Miss Edith Dickey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Dickey, left Tuesday afternoon for Greenville, Texas, where she will make her home with her uncle and aunt Mr. and Mrs. L.C. Reynolds.

Mrs. Ivan D. Anderson and children Vanie La Flo and Bessie Lee who have been visiting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Klyce left last night for their home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Jack Smith, who has hung on like he didn’t want to leave Corinth at least until all others had gone to school, is leaving this afternoon for Chicago where he will enter Northwestern University for the ensuing session.

W.E. Pritchard one of the oldest residents of Wheeler, died Tuesday at his home there. He was an excellent citizen and was held in high esteem in the community. The burial will take place this afternoon at Wheeler.


Circle No. 2 of the First Methodist Church announces the following list of cottage prayer meetings of the week, the hour for beginning the service being 3 o’clock.

Thursday afternoon

At the home of Mrs. O.E. Spencer; Mrs. Mattie Nash leader.

At the home of Mrs. C.W. Norwood; Mrs. Calvin Taylor leader.

At the home of Mrs. J.R. Lanning; Mrs. M.T. Lockman leader.

Friday afternoon

At the home of Mrs. B.B. Phillips; Mrs. Sutton leader.

At the home of Mrs. E.O. Klyce; Mrs. E.F. Wheeler leader.

At the home of Mrs. E.M. Cochran; Mrs. J.W. Rankin leader.


To State of Mississippi-

To: Guy Rankins, care of Dixie Construction Co., Birmingham, Alabama

Mrs. Edna Hardin, 1512 So. 54th St. Tacoma, Washington

Obed Bradley, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Lorena Brown, York, Alabama

Willie Emma Bradley, Demopolis, Alabama

John Bradley, Texaco, New Mexico

Mrs. Fannie Wolfe, 1005 Woodland Avenue, Columbia, Tennessee

Mrs. Arthur Haile, 1406 Josephine St., New Orleans, LA

Dr. Ernest Pollock, New Orleans, LA

Geo. Pollock, 328 Slidell Avenue, Algiers, LA

Wylie Bryant Gilliam, Milan, Tennessee

Bob Gilliam, R.F.D. No. 1 Gates, Tennessee

Willie May Gilliam, R.F.D. No. 1 Gates, Tennessee

Roxie Gilliam, RD 1, Gates, Tennessee

Butler Gilliam, Box 94, Lexington, Tennessee

Charles W. Gilliam, RD 1 Box 59, Montgomery, Alabama

Willie Eskridge, 7303 Commonwealth Avenue, St. Louis, MO

Hugh C. Gilliam, whose post office address is unknown.

You are commanded to appear before the Chancery Court of the County of Alcorn in said State in vacation at Chambers in town of Baldwyn, Mississippi on the 20th day of November, A.D. 1926, to show cause if any they have why the final account of A.J. Bradley, Sr., Administrator of the estate of A.J. Bradley, deceased, should not be approved and confirmed, wherein you are a Defendant.

This 18th day of Septenber A.D., 1926.

W.L. Madden, Clerk

by Irene Surratt, D.C.

The Booneville Pleader

September 24, 1926

Submitted by Julia Taylor



R.L. George was born October 9th, 1846 in McNairy County, Tennessee.

He enlisted in the Confederate Alabama, with Capt. Bob Damons, Co. F., Col. Jeff Forest’s Regiment, Bell’s Brigade, Bluford’s Division.

His first actual service was at Bear Creek where they were engaged in burning bridges and tearing up railroads. They made a stand at Cherokee, Alabama, had a skirmish and fell back about two miles, then threw all their forces in a skirmish line and kept falling back to Little Bear Creek where they made another stand, with Col. Forest wounded and one man killed. They were reinforced by Gen. Lee’s troops that night. Next they went to the mountains where they got in behind the enemy and found them falling back to Eastport. They put in the balance of the summer helping out the recruits from West Tennesse.

On Christmas Eve, Mr. George and three other boys were on a scouting party following (as they thought) army on May 1st, 1863, at Cherokee, eight Yankees, but which proved to be 48. To have a little fun, they charged them but had to fall back. George was thrown from his horse, was taken prisoner and then shot in the shoulder. They left him at Savannah, Tennessee. The next day his father came and carried him home. Upon receiving news that the Yankees were coming after him, from Glendale, he was tied to a horse and his sister started with him to Pleasant Site, Alabama. They got through safely by crossing Yellow Creek on the ice. He remained at Pleasant Site until the following spring, when he went back to his company.

The next combat was at Crump’s Landing. Two Yankees were seen on horseback and George and his party charged. The Yanks took them for their own men and stood still and the scouting party captured a man apiece-11 in all. Mr. George and one of his comrades captured the two on horseback and the others took those behind them. The balance of the enemy pursued them and they lost all of their prisoners and one of their own men.

The next engagement worthy of mention was at Fort Piller. The Yanks gave up the first fort about the middle of the day. The rebels crept up to the second fort and General Forest sent in a flag of truce. He received word back that they asked no quarters nor would they show any. The walls were scaled and the flag pulled down and the white men gave up. The gunboats that were aiding the Yanks moved up the river.

Next his company went to Pontotoc and entertained the Yanks while General Forest went to Memphis. He was in the Harrisburg fight. They had a fight with the Yankees the evening before the big Harrisburg battle and lost about twenty men. The next morning, both sides constructed breastworks of rails. General Lee took command of his detachment and ordered them over the breastworks. They drove in the Yankee skirmish line. Three times they charged and three times they were driven back. His company was in with about 60 men and came out with about 20. When the roll was called Col. Nuser and Col. Wisdem were wounded and Major Meeks was killed. Captain Bob Damons was the only commissioned officer left.

They were then ordered back to the Tennessee River where they were engaged in scouting the river and West Tennessee.

Mr. George was not with the main army anymore until winter, when at Fort Hindman they attempted to capture a boat and failed. Next day they moved up to the mouth of Big Sandy, captured a steamboat and gunboat which they moved up to Johnsonville where they were burned. They threw a pontoon across the river there, but the river was rising and the pontoon was broken. Mr. George and Mr. Ashby, who were on picket duty, were forgotten during the excitement and left to shift for themselves. In trying to get out they were captured, but the second night they made their escape. Mr. George got back to Purdy, Tennessee, where he met Col. Wisdem, and asked him for a pass. He was told to go on home and do the best he could as he (Col. Wisdem) thought the war was over. Later Mr. George met Col. Damons who said he was not going to give up as he had learned that the Yanks were not going to show them any quarters. Later a truce was arranged and Capt. Damons got his company together and went to Corinth where they were paroled.

Mr. George was united in marriage Dec. 31st, 1873 to Miss Mollie Pickens. To this union were born 11 children, all of whom are living and all are married except one.

Mr. George bears his age well-doesn’t look a day over 65 and is still spry. We enjoyed our talk with this old veteran who remembers the incidents of the war well, although he had forgotten many of the dates. Many of the grizzled fighters of the sixties have quit work, but not so with Mr. George. He will continue on until the end or until such time as he can no longer till the soil. He says he would rather wear out than rust out.

Alcorn County Home
Copyright Notice:
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced electronically or otherwise without specific permission from the county host and/or the contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Copyright - MSGenWeb Team - All Rights Reserved