Pictures of Various
in Adams County
(Unless noted all pictures are originals by Carolyn Switzer)
VETERANS MEMORIAL PARK
This Armed Forces Memorial is located in the
Veteran's Memorial Park beside St. Mary's Cathedral.
This cannon was taken from the defenses at
Santiago De Cuba in 1898 and is located
in the Veteran's Memorial Park.
The Confederate soldier monument, also in Veteran's
Memorial Park, was erected by the Confederate Memorial Association of Natchez
and Adams County, Mississippi in 1890. Below are the words inscribed on
each side of the monument:
The Warrior's Banner
Takes Its Flight
The Warrior's Soul.
In memory of the
from Natchez and
Adams County, Mississippi
"Dear in the lifeless clay,
whether unknown or known to fame,
their cause and country
still the same.
They died - and wore the gray."
"And each life that men seem lost,
When its Holder counts the cost,
And freely lays it down,
Shall wear a deathless crown."
"From each lost cause of earth,
Something precious springs to birth,
Though lost it be to men.
It lives with God Again."
Goldfish Pond is in the center of the Veterans
Memorial Park. Many children have fond memories of going to the park and
feeding the goldfish.
Left: Colonel John Willis
Right: To the memory of Daniel D.
Born 19th Dec. 1789
Died 9th Sept. 1820
Aged 67 years, 8 months and 21 days
In Memory Of
John Joseph Lambert
MONUMENT AT THE ADAMS COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Confederate Memorial located on the Lawn
of the Adams County Court House
It reads as follows:
Lest We Forget --- Lest We Forgot
To the Boys Who Wore the Grey
Erected by the Natchez Chapter of the
Daughters of the Confederacy
January 19, 1950
Commemorating Those Who Left From
Natchez and Adams County
Mustered Into Service on Court House Square
April 5, 1861
For there's not a man to wave it
And there's not a sword to save it
And there's not one left to love it
In the blood which they gave it
CLARK'S ILL. REGT.
FEBRUARY 24, 1755
MAY 28, 1813
Place of Birth
Spanish Governor Manuel Gayoso, the city of Natchez was planned and surveyed by John
Gerault in a typical Spanish grid plan around a central place and church with a common on the bluff of the Mississippi River.)
MONUMENTS AT THE OLD NATCHEZ CITY HALL
Monument on the grounds of the "Old" Natchez
City Hall in memory of Law enforcement officers killed in the line of
It reads as follows:
In Memory Of
Law Enforcement Officers
Who Gave The
Danny Burks N.P.D.
Walter Watkins N.P.D.
(At the very bottom of the monument it reads:)
Erected by the Natchez
Fraternal Order of Police
May 14, 19 (??)
Monument on the grounds of the "Old"
Natchez City Hall
in memory of the three-legged kitty Tripod (The City's Kitty)
Tripod the three-legged kitty passed away on October 9,
MONUMENTS ERECTED ON THE
IN MEMORY OF THE VICTIMS OF THE RHYTHM CLUB FIRE
This Tablet Was Erected In Memory
Of Those Who Lost Their Lives In The
Rhythm Club Fire
April 23, 1940
Monument on the Natchez Bluff Marking the
Beginning of the Natchez Trace
The Inscription reads:
The Natchez Trace
Marked By the
Daughters of the
in Mississippi. 1909.
This Historic Thoroughfare
From Natchez to Nashville
Tenn. Was Used As A Mail
Route in 1796
Although It Was A Well
Known Indian Trail in
Far Earlier Days.
Monument on the Natchez Bluff Dedicating
The Bandstand Gazebo to
Katherine Grafton Miller
The Inscription Reads As Follows:
KATHERINE GRAFTON MILLER BANDSTAND
THIS REPLICA OF THE ORIGINAL BANDSTAND
WAS COMPLETED IN 1969 THROUGH THE
EFFORTS OF MRS. J. BALFOUR MILLER, FOUNDER
OF THE ANNUAL NATCHEZ PILGRIMAGE,
WITH THE SPONSORSHIP OF THE
PILGRIMAGE GARDEN CLUB
AND GENEROUS CITIZENS.
DEDICATED IN HER HONOR BY THE MAYOR
AND BOARD OF ALDERMEN OCT. 14, 1969
FOR HER CONTRIBUTIONS THROUGHOUT THE
YEARS TOWARD THE CULTURAL WELL-BEING
OF THE CITY OF NATCHEZ.
Monument on Natchez Bluff Celebrating 100th
Anniversary of the Illinois Central Railroad
Left Circle Reads:
FOR 100 YEARS
MAIN LINE OF MID-AMERICA
Right Circle Is A Map of the Rails for Illinois
Monument Fountain on the Natchez Bluff
Plaque on the Fountain on the Natchez Bluff